• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2500+ Barton o/c help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Radboy

I just built up my new system a couple of days ago and need some serious help----see below specs.

AMD Athlon XP Barton 2500+
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo with Bios v.1008
PC3200 Kingston Dual Channel RAM (512MB)
PowerColor Radeon 9600XT
Maxtor 120GB HD

Alll works fine with default settings for FSB and multiplier(166@11). When I try to increase the multiplier to 12.5, to see if that will work, the machine boots up fine but WinXP shows 1836Mhz not what I would expect it to be (2075). All I want to do is get it to overclock to a 2800+. It seems that when I change the multiplier nothing happens.

I don't want to get too radical with this thing until I get a good burn in, but just want to get some suggestions on what to do when I am ready to do so.

I don't know what else to try.....Any sugestions?

Thanks!

sounds like you might have a locked multiplier. try changing your FSB in bios to 180 or so. you might need a slight boost in vcore and vdimm also.

That will work!

Thanks for the quick reply's! I ended up downgrading the bios for this Asus board. With the current version I was unable to increment the FSB. I only had two choices.....166 or 200. When I downgraded to the first bios v1006 I can now increment the FSB and was able to test the CPU at 190@11 and achieved 2090Mhz. I will play with it as time goes on. How long should I allow for burn in? I was thinking it might be a good idea to burn in at the default speed for a week, then start o/cing it. I am a little upset that AMD is locking the multi........makes this a little more scary to play with.

Final thought......Should I upgrade the stock heatsink and fan? What is a good or should I say affordable upgrade?

Thanks for the help!

Radboy

unless u want to seriously burn in I wouldn't waste my time runnig at low sppeds.
usually to burn in u use the lowest speed possible and highest vcore possible w/o running over 45-50C & running a burn in program like prime95 at torture test

If you want a good burn in program...

CPU Burn-in

CPU Burn-in is the ultimate stability testing tool for overclockers. The program heats up any x86 CPU to the maximum possible operating temperature that is achievable by using ordinary software. This allows the user to adjust the CPU speed up to the practical maximum while still being sure that stability is achieved even under the most stressful conditions. The program continuously monitors for erroneous calculations and errors ensuring the CPU does not generate errors during calculations performed under overclocking conditions.

Back