• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with dual display using my TV

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MikeHovey

Registered
I connected my tv with the S-video on my 9600 PRO and i have it setup as a secondary monitor off to the right of my screen. I want to be able to drag like a movie over there and full screen it on the tv so i can watch it there but ive had some problems.

1) With Windows Media Player 9, the video shows fine but when i try to full screen it, the video on the tv goes black and there is a small window on my monitor for some reason.

2) I tried Intervideo WinDVD5 Platinum but the video window is just black when it is on the tv. As soon as i drag it back over to my monitor it shows up.

Any ideas?

hmmmm, this sounds sorta like an overlay issue. I am not sure if I ever completely solved the fullscreen issue, with WMP, because I dont think it really likes dualies, however, I have a tip. Before you start the movie, drag it over to your tv, then press play. Also, I recommend a program called BS Player. Its free, from: http://www.bsplayer.org/

I usually use it for all my video stuff, cause it seems to work nicely with my dual setup.

ATI does not support true dual desktops...so when you make it into full screen it will automaticly go full screen on your main montior...monitor number 1...

This is the only thing that makes me not happy with my 9800 Pro since it doesnt support "true" dual desktop or span mode like Nvidia does...

glock19owner said:
ATI does not support true dual desktops...so when you make it into full screen it will automaticly go full screen on your main montior...monitor number 1...

This is the only thing that makes me not happy with my 9800 Pro since it doesnt support "true" dual desktop or span mode like Nvidia does...

Not true. I have gotten it to work fine, with my dual ATI display. An ATI Rage Pro, and a Radeon 7000 (Primary)

I have a 9800 Pro..and the most you can do is "expand" the desktop...that is not a true dual desktop...every place I read about DM's and ATI's all stated the same thing...it DOES NOT support true dual desktops...

Tom's Hardware and HardOCP both have guides for setting up DM's and both state that the ATI does NOT support true dual desktops like Nvidia's, just expandable...and there is no way for the ATI's to span to more then one monitor...

Tom's link

also features an option to use several virtual desktops similar to those of the Unix/Linux X environment, which ATi creatively calls Multi-Desktop.

This is not a true dual desktop ;)...

Last edited:
I do the same thing. Only i go through a VCR first, i dont have an ATI, i have a no name SiS Xabre. Try setting the TV as Display 1, and ur monitor as display 2 in your ATI settings. Then, in properties on the windoze desktop, set the monitor as primary so your task bar and such is on it.

I dont know if ATI cards integrate right into the windows display. my card has a little icon tray u can set it with, then differently in windows. Also, see if you have a Mirror mode or Symetry mode. It wond extend or dual your desktop, but if your looking to watch the movie on tv or copy it to tape that might be of some use.

Back