• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UT '04 Tips and Tricks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

9mmCensor

Disabled
Alright, heres a thread to discuss and point out the sick TIPS and TRICKS you have for UT04.

TIP: Waving the link guns secondary fire over an opponent will cause them greater damage, because the initial hit damage is greater than the normal damage of the weapon.

First of what are the key combos to use the Adreniline once it reaches 100%?

My tip is to set the Bio Rifle to lowest priority. There is nothing worse than picking that gun up, having it switch to it, and trying to kill someone with it.

To increase your adrenaline, collect the adrenaline pills scattered around
the map. They are big orange and white pill capsules. Each pill increases adrenaline by 3, and your total adrenaline count is displayed in the upper-right corner of the HUD (conveniently, with a picture of a pill).

You can also increase your damage by killing opponents. It appears that you get 5 adrenaline points for killing a basic opponent, but the value increases based on certain factors. For example, killing the ball carrier in Bombing Run nets you 12 adrenaline points. Killing basic opponents in Bombing Run seems to only net 3 adrenaline points. More Described Lower.

You CANNOT use any of your "powers" until you have full 100 adrenaline. You also cannot collect more than 100. However, while a power is in effect, your adrenaline will quickly drain, but the effects can be prolonged by picking up more pills to keep your adrenaline up.

Power effects end when your adrenaline reaches zero (0), and I do not know of any method to cancel a power once it is in effect, short of dying. If you die while using a power, the power effect ends and your adrenaline resets to 0.

So long as you're not currently using a power, your adrenaline count stays that same when you die (if you had 33 adrenaline and died, you will still have 33 when you respawn), which is good because collecting full adrenaline can take a while.

-----------
Heres How Much You Get For Different Actions :

All Game Modes :
Pick an adrenalin pill : 3
Frag or headShot : 2 or 5
First blood : 12
Killing sprees : 12

Capture the Flag :
Bring Back The Flag : 5
Capture The Flag : 25
Kill Flag Carrier : 12

Bombing Run :
Throw The Ball In The Goal : 25
Jump In The Goal With The Ball : 25
Kill Ball Carrier : 12

-----------

Now For The Combos :

- Speed (Up,Up,Up,Up)

While speed is in effect, you move at a quicker rate, probably at or below twice normal speed. I do not believe that you fire quicker.

- Booster (Down,Down,Down,Down,)

While Booster is in effect, your health regenerates at a rate of about 5 hit points per second. Your health will max out at 199, at which point your shields will increase, to max of 150. While your stats will no increase beyond this point, the effect will not wear off until your adrenaline runs out. So if you get shot while Booster is still working, you will quickly regenerate lost hit points.

You can tell Booster is in effect by an "aura" of small green plus (+) signs that appear around its user. It is not impossible to kill someone with Booster in effect, though definitely more difficult, for obvious reasons.

- Invisible (Right,Right,Left,Left)

Invisibility makes you (mostly) invisible. You appear as a ghostly shimmer, which is pretty much impossible to see unless you are looking for it, and still incredibly difficult to pick out in a fight even when you are.
(Computers Can See You)
I'm pretty sure that if you're carrying the ball in Bombing Run that everyone will still see the ball carrier aura, which might be a bit eerie, but not very effective.

- Berserk (Up,Up,Down,Down)

Berserk increases your firing rate, so that your weapons take less time between shots.
"Berserk + Chaingun Or Link Gun = Swiss Cheese."

I tested these key combos and they work.
(Info stolen from Atari Forums)

Last edited:
I just learned some very cool things playing last night (Onslought).

#1 Always switch to 1st person view (F4) when using the Raptor or the Manta, especially the Raptor because you can aim straight down. The other vehicles are easier to drive with 3rd person view.

#2 Hold the secondary fire when using the AVRIL, it auto-locks your target so you don't have to follow it with your mouse. This makes it so much easier to run around and make sure nobody is behind you.

#3 You can use the regular rocket launcher in the same fashion as the AVRIL, you just have to hold the crosshairs on your target longer. If you build up 3 rockets with the secondary fire and can keep your crosshairs on the enemy for that long you've got yourself a nice set of homing rockets.

#4 Having trouble running over your enemies with the Hellbender? Try spinning out. Hit the brakes and crank the wheel, you'll likely hit them because they don't expect it.

#5 To get that Top Gun with the Raptor you need to fire ahead of them, I've found this too be far more effective than aiming directly at them. And remember that the Raptor missiles are easy to dodge, just keep turning.

#6 Use sticky grenades on the nodes, if you die, they blow up anyway.

Rocket Launcher Tip:

Press Alt-Fire to build up to a max of 3 rockets to fire at once. Regularily they shoot out in a flat flight path. If you hold down press fire and as you are firing multiple rockets, they fire in a spiral, 'tighter' flight path, meaning more concentrated damage zone.

if the enemy has a tank, or even a tank WITH someone piloting the machine gun, just jump (double jump) onto the roof, crouch somewhere or something, and fire away, they have to exit the tank to kill you, you can also use sticky grenades, they wont notice a damned thing, then, jump of and... *click* BOOM

edit: when your on the normal top of the tank, the driver can knock you off by swinging the turret, to get rid of this, sit on the turret itself, so they cant hit you or anything :p

(if the goliath doesnt have a gunner, when the driver exits the tank to get you, *carjacked*)

ONSLAUGHT:

The whole point of this is teamwork, if everybody goes to the second node, because they're expecting someone else to get the first node, you're whole team has effectively screwed themselves over.

FAST vehicles(Mantas, Raptors, and the dune buggy things) go to the closest nodes, slow vehicles, hellbenders tanks, etc. go to the farther nodes, this way the slow vehicles get to the farther nodes as the first ones are being done developed. Also, Farther nodes from you are close to the other teams, and you're going to want heavy weaponry there. Also, please people, fill the vehicles. There's nothing more discouraging then watching someone take off in a hellbender when it could have easily let two more people in.

When your powercore is under attack, ATTACK the nodes. Defend and die, attack and achieve. Also, walk, taking a vehicle out when you only have your core is like sticking a fork in a microwave.

Get chatty, I don't have a microphone, but if you tell people to do stuff, they'll generally listen, and your good idea is better than no idea. Fortunaly I type at about 42wpm.

I consider myself a sniper in Onslaught, when everyone else is fighting, I'm up in some secluded place with tons of lightning ammo, and AVRIL rockets, between the two, there's really no chance of you dying, and I'm consistently getting "Killing sprees" and the likes.

Know thy link gun.

If you're walking past a tank, and it's your teams, help yourSELF out, and right click with the link gun, saving a tank can save your life and considerably help your team. The same goes for critical nodes.

One of the most(many) annoying things I see is someone who develops the first node, they just step on it and fly away. Link gun it. Nobody else is doing ANYTHING until Node #1 is developed, so don't hesitate to do some good.

Some other things that irk me.. When the game first starts and it's a mad-dash for the vehicles, please, don't shoot at your team-mates just because they're in the vehicle and you're not(unless it's a multi-person vehicle like a Hellbender) what's it going to solve? Are they going to come back and give it to you? No, move your fat-self and go develop a node. There's nothing more sad and pathetic than someone trying to "outmanuver" me in a Manta. Guess what, I can jump out of the way at the last second, and you can't. The very least you can do is fire your weapon, it will at least wound me. Vehicular murders aren't very easy to pull off unless the opponent is preoccupied. If it's you vs. him, you'll most likely loose, as you're the size of a car, and he's the size of a person(duh).

That's all I have for now, time to get back playing. If anyone has a Redeemer list, let me know.

Here is a basic tip that a lot of people seem to neglect.

When battling an opponent, pay attention to your health. If it's getting low, run away. Gather armor and health. The same after you kill someone.

Ever play one one of those people that seem to never die? That's what they do all the time.

A big misconception with the Scorpion I've noticed and it's green sticky laser.

Longer does not mean more powerful. If you're using a Scorpion's laser to attack a node(which, by the way, work excellent) you do not need to wait each time for the laser power-level to fill up completely. Just rapidly click the fire button and it will still have the same effect, but come out three times as fast. In fact, long can often mean worse, in the case of using it to attack a soldier, a longer one can often cling to walls, other vehicles etc. and then wrap and miss the person completely, short ones are more precise, and if you miss, no big deal, you're shooting way faster. :)

When you roll up to a node in your Manta/Scorpion/Delorian/whatever take a moment to park it BEHIND the node so you can at least run to it if an enemy shows up. I've taken many nodes without even firing any of my guns, I just show up, hop in the unattended tank, and get a Multi Kill.

Second, don't under-estimate how important it is to annoy the other team's Leviathan/Goliath. Today I was playing ONS-RedPlanet, and I happened to catch a Levi rolling past the enemy's first node. I hid behind the node structure and took pot shots at the thing with a Manta. It tried to follow me around, but it was too slow. This went on for a few minutes, until the lone driver thought it'd be a good idea to hop out and tried to get me with the Flak.

Bad idea. I zipped around the other side, jumped into the Levi, and blew up most of the enemy team coming over the hill. I'm willing to bet the driver didn't feel too smart when he saw two Levis pounding away at his base. :D

Because of this, they lost the game. We would've lost the middle node had that Levi rounded the cliffs.

To be really annoying in Torlan, stick a load of mines up next to the teleporter on the tower in the enemy base. Then when they go up there: BOOM - only really works if you have most of the nodes and they are rushing to defend.

Also in Torlan when going for the deemer, nick it then clear off quick. You are highly vulnerable flying the deemer on the top of the tower, so go hide around the base.

In deathmatches, flak gun is your friend if you can't aim, shock rifle is if you can. Shock combos will kill in one hit if you get them close enough, and two of the secondary Flak shells at someone's feet leaves them with no legs. LG is only good in places that are open, so in rankin forget it as everyone is jumping around like crazy.

Another thing, and this can be very important.

Dos and Don'ts of shooting empty vehicles
DO NOT, EVER shoot an enemy vehicle that has not been used to the point where it is destroyed, after about 15 seconds, IT WILL REGENERATE. The trick is to shoot them until you see flames, and then drive away, this way they're stuck with worthless metal.

DO NOT SHOOT at a used enemy vehicle. If they leave the vehicle, and it's very very hurt, why destroy it? Get in, then get out, and link gun it back to life, weeee free vehicle(you must get in first, otherwise it will just destroy it) You can really help out the soldiers this way.

Also, make note as to WHAT Nodes you're attacking.

nodeattackidea.bmp
Here you can see a very professional graphic of what some of the node layouts are like.

Take note to nodes E, C, and B. All are under attack, and you just died, you spawned at D, what to do? Well, you could probably walk to E and defend, and get a few kills in, or maybe C if you have a vehicle. Hey, there's a Manta, I'll just stop at A, and attack. Never.

Go to Node B. First of all, EVERYBODY else is going to be at the center nodes, either attacking or defending, it's very doubtful that a red soldier is just going to be waiting for an attack, which leaves this node ridiculously vulnerable. Secondly, think about it. The second Node B is destroyed, red is just standing there with their thumb up there butts. Set up the blue node as quickly as you can, and prepare to die, but you singlehandedly just turned the game around. Also, sometimes, like in these situations, it might actually not be a good idea to kill. Here's why.

Let's say you are at node C, defending, while someone is already attacking B. If you kill the red person, they're now very close to your savior at node B, not good, there's going to be vehicles like crazy waiting to be manned. If you just run away, then the opponent is going to have to search for a busted-*** vehicle, or, if he's crazy/smart(both?) he'll kill himself with an Avril, allowing him to get to the heart node faster. A lot of this is judgement, but a lot of this is just plain common sense. Why keep wiping up the water when you can just turn off the faucet.

***SAD*** I've never played an First-person shooter really until this game, I need a life. :D

Tom, you're doing better than the dozens of CS n00bs who jack the Leviathan, find 4 of their closests friends, and then drive off a cliff with it.

Do we have an OCers UT2004 server going yet?

I haven't played many games lately, but this thing rocks!!!

I tried the demo and I can't get enough of it...

I haven't been in to a game this much since Quake2.....I LOVE IT!

ThePerfectCore said:
Tom, you're doing better than the dozens of CS n00bs who jack the Leviathan, find 4 of their closests friends, and then drive off a cliff with it.

Do we have an OCers UT2004 server going yet?

gotta love those CS newbies :)

o_O a OCérs ut2004 server, now that'd be cool :cool:

{PMS}fishy said:
My tip is to set the Bio Rifle to lowest priority. There is nothing worse than picking that gun up, having it switch to it, and trying to kill someone with it.

Even better, turn off auto switch weapon in the options menu :thup:

I also would like to play with some fellow OCers, if someone would be good enough to set up a server.

Head over to irc.zirc.org and join channel #[ocg]
thats where the overclocking gamers hang out... you ought to find someone that wants ta play some UT.

Back