• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Convince Me To Fold

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XunknownX

Disabled
Alright, I have a spare system:

533 Celeron
256mb of PC133
1.6Gig HDD
Win98 SE

Now, it's hooked up to my DSL as well of course. So who can convince me to FOLD on this sucker 24/7? Also, how much bandwidth does it eat up?

Folding uses only CPU clocks. It will send a packet of info every time it completes a WU, and that will be a miniscule amount of bandwidth. However with that system, it make take a long time for one WU to be finished.

The best reasons to fold, are the cures to diseases you never wish to experience but statically have already effected you or someone you love and if it has not yet it will... so take this chance to assist in a cure.

If logic is not a good enough of a reason it is competitive or you can honestly tell people your helping to discover cures to some of the worst diseases known to man...should help in picking up the women ;)

Hi! Regardless of the speed of your system, all extra cpu processing capabilities are needed. I have a PII 333 laptop that takes around 4-5 days to complete a protein and a G3 33 that takes around the same amount of time. I fold for one reason and one reason ONLY: Had this research project been around in the eighties, my wife may still be alive due to a possible cancer cure. So I fold for all of the other husbands, wives, children that have lost loved ones due to cancer, etc. So if I have a system that take 5 days to complete, so what......in the end that extra amount of folding, may some day find a cure for cancer.

Hooah! And thank you for looking at Team 32 and this board

Last edited:
I lost a brother and sister to cancer. My other sister is a breast cancer survivor. This puts my daughter and my granddaughter in a high risk category. If for no other reason do it for the kids, they are the future.

That 533 celeron has SSE so it won't be that slow. I have a few borgs that are 533 Celerons that do about a WU a day or so.

No bandwidth at all that you will ever notice.

Why FOLD? Because hopefully the work that you do today will help cure some disease and save you life 50 years from now. If not your life, maybe the lives of your children or children's children.

Last edited:
Back