• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd Teaming with IBM for the dominance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
I heard something about AMD going deeper into server chips, more of a competition to the Xeon.

I also heard something about IBM helping them go into 90nm tech.

I know the IBM has some nice server processors out there..and knowing that rings a bell in my head. What if AMD and IBM teamed up to dominate in the server/workstation department for processors, muscling out Intel...which would give them enough money for AMD to take over desktop?

But then I think..Intel has so much money from all these sales, is there any way that this could even happen?

What do you guys think? Any Fanboy or flames will be a personal attack against my thread and I will nto take them lightly because I do not want another thread being locked. Thanks and please give me your ideas!

IBM is helping AMD in some ways, i beleive IBM developed soi, and AMD is also using IBMs 90mn technology. This does not mean that they are teamed up, AMD mostlikly has to pay to use those things. I also dont think that it would be smart for them to tackle the server industry and neglect desktops, there is just more money to be made on desktops.

for like 8 quarters AMD has been losing money, only this last quarter did they gain money, and that was from flash memory I think.

They need to start making some money. Maybe with IBM's help they could tackle the server market, while still having "ok" cheap desktops...Take all the money from dominating the server market, and throw all of that into desktops...taking out Intel. And once Intel is out of the way...there is much money to be had.

IBM and AMD are tied very closely.

IBM makes ALL of AMD's SOI based chips. They control ALL of IBM's fabrication plants. IBM dropped Nvidia as its partner, to devolp more chips for AMD.

IMHO I wouldnt be at all suprised if IBM eventually bought out AMD, or atleast merged with them.

BTW AMD isnt loosing that much money. Right now they're doing just fine. Especially with the Prescott/Tejas fiasco.

But yes, I agree. IBM is teaming up with AMD to regain thair dominence once again.

Last edited:
Well, last I heard, AMD didn't actually HAVE any SOI chips. In fact, they went to IBM and said "We can't do this, and Lord knows we tried. Here's money, do it for us." 'cause IBM has been doing SOI for a number of years now.

IBM shouldn't buy out Intel, that would be bad for us, I think that IBM with AMD under their belt could hurt Intel badly enough to take them out of the competition, and I like having choices.

Can someone please explain to me a little about Silicon on Insulator?

I don't see IBM hoping in bed with AMD any time soon seeing how intel still makes the cpus for IBM's desktop pcs.

I don't see IBM hoping in bed with AMD any time soon seeing how intel still makes the cpus for IBM's desktop pcs.

Its too late for that. IBM is slowly converting its chips to *their* AMD64s.

Im pretty sure that their servers are Opteron based now.

Sentential said:

Its too late for that. IBM is slowly converting its chips to *their* AMD64s.

Im pretty sure that their servers are Opteron based now.

I've seen ads for Opteron based servers, with..... dun dun dun Linux. Since MS wouldn't get off their butts fast enough to release a stable enough OS for A64.

So are we all leading to say that it may already be happening...and IBM is, atleast starting to get into bed with AMD?!

What would this mean for stocks? Wouldn't AMD's shoot up since they would be getting help, or maybe even baught by IBM?

Maybe if I collected all of my money I could find enough to by one share! lol

What would this mean for stocks? Wouldn't AMD's shoot up since they would be getting help, or maybe even baught by IBM?

It already has. According to glockowner his share(s) were worth like $2 a piece 2 years ago. Now its around $12-15 a share.:beer:

So are we all leading to say that it may already be happening

...may?.. nah its beyond that at this point. It has happened. I would speculate an AMD/IBM merger, b4 specualting about their buisness ties at this point.

The sucess of AMD solely depends on IBM. Ironically since IBM makes all the next-gen consoles CPUs, its entirely possible that IBM may use AMD's chips in them.

Oh my god. I think that I'll look into buying some AMD stock! This is funny, I've always had Intel systems, but I'm going for buying its competitors stock!

But lets say that AMD and IBM do merge. What would THAT do to stocks? They would sky rocket right then and there right?

If they Merge it's Bad news for AMD Stocks. Unless you do insider trading and know exactly when they are gonna announce it. Unless they do take overs and IBM starts buying up AMD stock left and right. Stocks are always unstable and a lot of research can only lead to a guess, no telling where the market can go unless you do insider trading.

Er no it would not be a merger! Look at the sizes of both companies IBM would takeover AMD (they might call it a merger but that certainly would not be the case) and during the time that IBM expressed an interest the stock price would most certainly go up - no dispute about that as they would have to offer a price higher than current market valuation for shareholders to accept the offer.

I heard something else about AMD looking for a new plant, and IBM might be making them one...that could lead to other things also...

All this help that AMD will be getting...I hope that Intel doesn't die.

FAB30 is still relatively new and a new foundry will be based in Germany thanks to grants from the EU. I think the IBM rumours (I saw them on Inquirer) are unfounded unless they relate only to the 65 and 45nm technology of which a collaboration was set up back in early 2003 between the two..
I assume the comment about Intel dying was tongue in cheek!

Last edited:
Back