• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ECS K7S5A what are your thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tithulta

What are your thoughts?

ECS K7S5A,Socket-A,SIS735,2DDR DIMM,2DIMM,Audio,LAN,ATX K7S5A,Socket-A,SIS 735,5PCI,AGP4X,AMR,2DDR,2DIMM,Audio,UDMA-100,LAN,ATX,1-year manufacturer warranty

So far I don't think it's very overclockable and has an amr slot is the biggest knocks I can see about this board. I d/led it's manual from ecs to see what it had in it and it seemed a bit on the slim side. However the board is dirt cheap compared to the other ddr boards. Price on pricewatch is $66 and whether this is a good thing or a knock it allows the use of either DDR or sdram, but not both at same time. It also has a max memory of 1gb, which is more than I own with 3(working) systems in my house at present. When I do upgrade I'm getting Micron 256 mb pc2100, likely just one chip to begin with though.

While I know for $40 more I can get an epox 8kha and get a better board I'm sure. Abit's Kg7 will probably be outstanding, but at pre-release prices it had better deliver($180ish to 199). Glad I still have at least a week to 2 weeks before I have the money for the upgrade so who knows what I'll decide upon. My buget for upgrading is $300 maybe a bit more, but not alot as I'm using my "tax rebate" for upgrading. Upgrading MB, PSU, CPU, and Memory. Canabilizing voodoo3 3000 agp(until xmas then im getting either GF2 or GF3), SBlive/xgamer, samsung 20gb hdd(5400 rpm 100ata capable),36x cdrom(dying for a cdrw),USR 56k modem. Haven't a clue what HSF I'll get for the new cpu either.

What is most everyones experiences with ECS's boards are they any good for the price you pay for them? Do they as a history have poor OCing ability?

Thought this might be a decent upgrade for my dad's computer since he doesn't care if it's o/c able and since it has ddr or sdram it'd be cheaper to upgrade since he could use his current memory.(fixed income medical retirement)

Last edited:
The ECS group are an huge taiwanese constructor. They are the oficial PCchips boards builder.
ECS build average quality boards, with good performance (at least with KT133 chipsets), but using low cost motherboard components, cause they focus OEM. PCchips using VIA KT133 chipsets (M805 and M810) had same performance up to my ASUS A7V, but the only o/c option are fsb, or nothing, cause KT133 cant past 112fsb (my A7V can't stand 1mhz increment!!!) . But with SIS 735 chipset, there's not such limitation on fsb, easily reaching 150mhz fsb. BUT, without uping vcore, I don't think you can past 110 mhz. This board will need an gfd (if they release one) or closing Ls to get 1.85v vcore. It will be more to hardcore overclockers.
Well, some good news: in couple weeks I will receive two ECS K7S5A + Athlon 1.2, so I will be releasing an extensive review about ECS K7S5A overclocking capabilities!!! :D

Cool thanks for the heads up..my dad has already said he wanted one of these next month when he gets his monthly check. I personally think it's a good candidate for people looking for a budget solution since it has sound/video built in. What I'd really like to find out is the video quality. Also would like to know if it performs better with ddr or sdram. While I would expect ddr to out perform the sdram seeing would be nice.

Back