• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8x-VM/400 not recognizing Barton

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigbadhenchman

Registered
I am putting a computer together for a friend. Barton 2500+ Mobile Cip and an asus A7N8x-VM/400. However the CPU is being recognized a s an 800 mhz CPU.

Waddup?

i just built my machine a month ago from the ground up, and have done nothing to the bios. is the rig in your signature the computer your building? did you buy new ram?

ASUS A7n8x-VM/400
Athlon XP 2800+ Barton @ 2.083
2x256 Crucial PC3200 DDR CL=3
80g Maxtor 7200RPM 8MB Cache
(insert video card here)
Antec 430W PSU
Logitech MX510 Gaming Mouse

dbthump said:
i just built my machine a month ago from the ground up, and have done nothing to the bios. is the rig in your signature the computer your building? did you buy new ram?

Nope. different rig. i'm wondering if it's because it's a mobile?

too much info? sorry its a lot to plan out for before I even get dirty

hey check out my sig i'm looking to at least upgrade my processor before they don't sell socket A's anymore so could I get a little help, I should have my motherboard bios version and revision numbers bios rev 1003 A7N8X-VM/400 Rev2.02
Its a nforce2 IGP +MCP mobo, I heard the labeled nforce2 400 ultra(not mines) shouldn't have any problems running the processors in 400FSB and ram in Dual channel DDR400
I just want to know if my motherboard can support a SOCKET A Athlon XP+ 3200 (2200mhz 400 MT FSB(200mhz x 11) 512 L2 cache (Barton core)
Or
SOCKET A Athlon XP-M 3000+ (2200 mhz 266 MT FSB (133mhz x 16.5) 512 L2 cache (Barton core)
or DDR400 in dual channel mode (because some people report problems doing both CPU and RAM @ 400)

I thought this would be the place to ask since a few people have very similar setups
I think my motherboard was tested with a sempron 2800+ and it only showed a speed of 800mhz which is suppose to be 2000mhz. maybe there's a bios revision to fix this.

I'm hoping to upgrade the cpu and memory just for an overall faster system and adding a AGP graphics card so I can play counter-strike and try out Crysis semi-decently. But any opinion on what type of performance to expect in all aspects is appreciated. I know agp X1650 pro isn't anything amazing these days but it should be fairly decent for older games, movies, video decoding, and at least 20 fps+ for new games all for $100. I just don't know how the processor and ram along with the dual channel config gonna run and if they are compatible with my board. Too many things on this harddrive to change motherboard (+os) so I decided to upgrade.

theres
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=13
A7N8X
A7N8X-X
A7N8X-Deluxe
A7N8X-VM
A7N8X-VM/400
and more+revisions
http://ca.asus.com/110/html/share/3/txt/60/pdf/a7n8x-vm/a7n8x-vm.zip notice just "vm" this url might not be mines
Few documentation from Asus
States Barton Cores are compatible in the spe.pdf
States I need an AGP card to run DDR400 in dual channel mode every other speed can run in integrated.
Lists some RAM brands for DDR400 compatiblity (one Cosair 512 model) gonna have to experiment with this one. And a power supply would be needed for the AGP and RAM, Guess I really have to find out if the CPU is supported. Cuz so far I need the RAM to work with CPU, To work in DDR 400 Dual channel which needs GPU+PSU. Basically I have to Buy CPU cheap make sure it works. Then Buy RAM GPU PSU and test those 3 compatiblity wise.
Guess I'm really answering my own questions about single part compatiblity (thats fine my brain aint big enough to fit this info)

Also downloads for all things A7N8X-VM/400
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A7N8X-VM/400
long story short the a7n8x doesn't support mobile XP-m's but any overclocking motherboard will. But I'm thinking of doing a pin mod to connect pins (so that it works at designed speed) in an unsupported cpu that hopefully at least boots.
Update** I got it to work with a pin mod. 200x 11@1 @ 1.55v (thats less than XP-M 2800+ @1.55v 2133mhz

if the cpu works its my dream, low wattage, low heat Pentium 4 3.0 ghz equivalent processor with decent overclocking ability (2.2ghz Athlon XP is a match if they oc to like 2.4-2.7+ (on air) they mop the floor with p4) and i'd try my best to bring it to around 30 degrees celcius operating temp with lapping, better fan+sink, thermal paste.

Last edited:
Back