• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best motherboard for Pentium 4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
never tried that abit board, but you cant possibly go wrong with the p4c800-e deluxe

actually you probably cant go wrong with either board

Own both the P4C800-E DLX & IC7-MAX3.

Blew out the MCH on the P4C800-E DLX (dual channel wouldn't work anymore on any slot configuration.)

Personally, I prefer the IC7-MAX3 (as long as its' V2).

Expanded CPU overclocking options.
Expanded DDR overclocking options (3.2V VDIMM, TurboRacer/F1 Memory Controls)
Higher voltage ranges (V2 corrects VDIMM & VCORE problems).
6 SATA ports
OTES/Mosfet Cooling System
No Legacy Ports

Need I say more? :)

P4C800-E DX is the best motherboard for intel pentium 4 processor. I have it and its good as hell im going to overclock my cpu tommorrow to 3.2 its the best mother board take my advice

SimGuy said:
Personally, I prefer the IC7-MAX3 (as long as its' V2).
Higher voltage ranges (V2 corrects VDIMM & VCORE problems)

There is NO ver. 2 and there was NEVER issues w/ vcore BTW, only vdimm!

The only difference with the newer shipping boards is MC64 is removed by default from the factory. It is still a ver 1.0.

With MC64 removed there is NO usable vDDR above 2.8v because vTT does not align with it. Apparently there is no fix for the MAX3, you'll need to modify the board to get 3.2v 'reliably'

Eventhough I don't personally own the Asus P4C800-E I recommend it over the Abit MAX3! I heard many great OCs and 'trouble-free' operation with the former board!

Trust me you don't need a OTES fan that does nothing and will inevitably fail in a couple months, onboard sound issues, inaccurate temp readings, and unusable vDimm above 2.8v+

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33771

Last edited:
There are a lot of great OC'ing boards out there, and I personally run an MSI 875p FIS2R which I love, but if I were to recommend a board to a friend, it would be the ASUS P4C800-E Dlx. without a doubt.

scanido said:

There is NO ver. 2 and there was NEVER issues w/ vcore BTW, only vdimm!

The only difference with the newer shipping boards is MC64 is removed by default from the factory. It is still a ver 1.0.

With MC64 removed there is NO usable vDDR above 2.8v because vTT does not align with it. Apparently there is no fix for the MAX3, you'll need to modify the board to get 3.2v 'reliably'

Eventhough I don't personally own the Asus P4C800-E I recommend it over the Abit MAX3! I heard many great OCs and 'trouble-free' operation with the former board!

Trust me you don't need a OTES fan that does nothing and will inevitably fail in a couple months, onboard sound issues, inaccurate temp readings, and unusable vDimm above 2.8v+

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33771

Humm, I was unaware of that. I knew the new MAX3's were shipping with the MC64's removed, but didn't know they weren't V2's. Thanks for clearing that up :)

IC7-Max3 far and away.

I've never had a better motherboard, ever.
The OTES fan hasn't failed me, and I've had it since December.
All my voltages are perfect, even vDIMM
Temperature readings differentiate about 10*C from my temperature monitor (Kingwin Thermal Center) to the Abit board, with the abit reading high.
And my overclock is perfectly stable.
Onboard sound is very good, and I have had no issues whatsoever with it.

So I dont really understand what all of you who think the IC7-max3 is so bad are thinking...

Oh yes, and by the way, the OTES fan does push air, and it does cool the power regulators and MOSFETS very well, which is another reason why I dont understand what you Abit skeptics are thinking. If cooling the mosfets was useless, why do I see an article describing how to do it on a P4C800 Deluxe?

I'm running a Asus p4c800 dlx because my first max3 had some minor probs along with the 'pr stuff' that dosen't float.
I just got around to doing a paid for hot swap, only to find this obviously refurbished max3 won't even load windows without going into some kinda fit. Now I'm out the money for TWO boards.

BUY AN ASUS, NOT AN ABIT !!!!
They can't even get a pre-paid rma right ;)

abit has lost to the pr monkeys, I'll NOT, have another ;)

Asus P4C800-E DX. Granted I just bought this board but, its just so darn spiffy, and 20 cheaper than the max3.

Gonna do the mods soon but Im at 292 fsb now woohoo

Back