• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my eheim is dead!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Absolute Zero

i've been doing some extensive modding to my case, so my main system has been down for over two weeks. yesterday, having received all the parts and done all the cutting, i hooked up my watercooling rig to pressure/leak test it. now, i took the cord for my eheim 1250 and hooked spliced/sautered it on a power connector from an old psu. after i did it, i taped it and tested it with no water, and it ran.

i preceded to prime and paint the case, but i had to leave the pump near the case. i only got primer dust on it, but now it won't work! no sounds, no nothing, just won't work. i've rewired it twice, thinking it was an electrical problem, but still no go.

please don't tell me my eheim is dead.

it was just for a second. to see if it would go. you don't think that would burn it out, just one second of no resistance, do you?

i've got no resistance at the terminals with the pump off. that is not good.

Last edited:
green, you've got me all depressed. i've been looking at new pumps, since i'm an idiot, and i like the hydor L30. better flow and head than a eheim 1250. no one has them. so, the question i have is, what's wrong with them?

First of all, give us all a chance to respond.

It is possible a wire or connection failed internal to the pump. When you say you got no resistance, do you mean teh meater showed 0, or that it was off scale? If the meter was off scale, indicating an open circuit, that's the better of the two cases. Take the pump apart, and look for loose connections. If it's shorted, you can take it apart anyway and look for a short, but chances are you won't find it.

The problewm with operating w/o water isn't the lack of flow resistance, but rather, the lack of cooling.

that anybody was kind of a bump. sorry, i wasn't trying to rush anyone. i was just a little upset that my eheim that i bought four months ago is gone. i mean, running it without water probably wasn't smart, but i don't think it overheated. it just didn't have time. now, i'm going to sound like a noob, but i'm okay with that.

my eheim is submersible, so it's sealed tight. how would i go about opening it so i wouldn't compromise that seal?

Back