• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Frustrated With Mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Agent_Mull

I think something on my mobo is broken. My pci wireless card works when it feels like it, along with all my other pci cards i try. It started i think when i tried ocing it. It works for a few days, then when i try playing around with the multiplier/fsb it doesnt work for a few days/hours. Any suggestions.
I have the $$ for a new mobo, but i dont feel like spending it if i can fix this one.

Agent_Mull said:
It started i think when i tried ocing it.

Did you make sure that your PCI/AGP were locked or on the right ratio. If you forgot to lock them, it may have damaged the cards. Thats all I can think of right now.

Well, im pretty sure it locks it automatically, and even at stock, with cards that werent in when i oced it still does that.

I didnt know that they automatically lock the PCI/AGP. Any boards that I have had, you need to manually lock the frequency. I have not used that specific board, so I can not tell you if it does. If it does it on cards that werent in at the time of OCing, then I would suspect the board is to blame.

Ya, we have annother card in our other computer, and i switched them out one time and it still didnt work.

Agent_Mull said:
Well, im pretty sure it locks it automatically, and even at stock, with cards that werent in when i oced it still does that.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. My initial thoughts are the same as the other two. When you up the fsb, everything that is attached goes up too. This means that the PCI bus goes up which means that you are OCing the PCI cards too. This can cause an OC to become unstable. The Nforce2 boards (and other too I'm sure) have an option to either lock the PCI bus or to select a speed. This is not automatic, you have to select it in the BIOS.

Please clarify what you are seeing and hopefully some one will have an answer. By the way, I really like my ASUS A7N8X-DLX a lot. So does Maximum PC magazine.

Now my dad is breathing down my neck wanting me to call tech support from the company that i bought the comp from. THey arent going to beable to do anything i haven done, and i think i voided that by ocing it.

calm down agent make no sense, and write something explaining what your trying to say, no ones got a clue. as for your overclocking, i agree with it sounding like a bus issue.

also, really sorry but never heard of a 'Gigabyte GA-N7400'

i run a barton with PC2100 ram. and the ram is @ 2700 speeds. My wireless card isnt havin issues...

and mines a linksys.. lol

Whats the router maker?

Stee said:
also, really sorry but never heard of a 'Gigabyte GA-N7400'

i think its the GA-7N400, but there are a bunch of different versions.

i didnt see anything about an agp/pci bus lock but there could be one, as there are boards with this feature

also.. when you up the FSB, your only upping the Speed that the PCI port is running at.. if your Board allows a 800mhz FSB, and you take a 500mhz FSB p4 and up it to like a 750 FSB, the cards will adjust to the speed and work as if the CPU is stock 750mhz FSB...

You can never OC a PCI or AGP slot... It only adjust to keep up with the FSB..

It isnt gonna hurt my System to run a 2400+ at a higher FSb, cause the PCI just changes in proportion to the FSB..

Its not cause of the OC, if its a linksys.. then it might have problems... often. May also be you're router.

That's a good point. How do you know it's the MB and not the router? Maybe your OC is fine.

I know its not the router because my sister doesnt have problems with her wireless connection.
And now my board has taken to freezing at the post screen
It says like: [Main Processor] Amd +2400
<CPU ID>069
And it just freezes there and my cd roms light up like its checking for ide drives, but it just doesnt go any further.

Also yes it is a GA-7N400

Last edited:
Stupid question: Do you have a system speaker in your box? In other words, are you able to hear any beeps? If yes, what beeps are you hearing? (E.G. 1 short 3 long, or 1 long, or 2 short 1 long, etc)

Ahhhh. It POSTs. So then the problem is after a normal POST. One idea is heat on the CPU. Boot into the BIOS and watch the system health. Watch the CPU temp for a while and see if it climbs too high. If that's the case, then your HSF may not be doing it's job. What thermal paste do you use?

If the CPU temp checks out, it could be bad RAM. Since you are not able to boot fully, this becomes difficult to test. Perhaps get the RAM in another machine and run a program like memtest.

The PSU is also another place to cause trouble. Do you have another one around that you could use?

My thought is that the MB is ok but others may think differently about that.

i cant get into the setup. It freezes after it identifies my cpu, and i think my mobo would shut off if the cpu were overheating.
Once i finish my stupid eagle scout merit badges, my parents are going to take me to get a visa buxx card so i can order stuff online, and i was looking at getting a fortron 350w psu, some fans, as5 and the zalman 6 speaker headphones. Maybe they will let me get the psu early if i tell them it might fix my comp. But ive tried unplugging all things i dont need and it still doesnt work. Would a bad psu just not work period, or not put out enough watts, or both, or neither.

Last edited:
Back