• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help! I've fried it all :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killem1x1

I have a serious power supply problem, but it involves my weekend working with pelts, and watercooling, although the end problem is that I blew up my power supply, and need some advice on how I did it. I think it was due to, well I guess I'll go ahead, and then you'll move the post.

I spent all night fri night, and sat night sealing up my mobo.
I did the normal stuff dialectric grease in the pin holes, RTV around the outside, lapped my coldplate, placed my foam ( This took the longest because I took my time, and did everything very slow and steady to ensure I would not have a condensation problem. I finished about 6pm last night.
I put the system back together, all my drives cards etc..
Things were looking good, but alas the kids were in the background and my wife was giving me hell for having not spent any time with the family and for some reason I hooked up something I'd never hooked up before:
There is a lead coming off my 450w PS that looks identical to the same leads that come on fans, you know the 3 pin deals, but ahh I didn't pay attn to the colors of the wires (yellow/Black/red(I think)) I had hooked this to my chassi fan header on the mobo. I have a seperate PS for my 156w pelt, so I fired it up, water was pumping, everything looked good so I booted the system, the drives spin up, but no POST. I had been having problems with the second DDR slot on my A7A anyway so I pulled that stick out, and set the mobo to "jumperfree". The system did a POST I went to BIOS and BOOM the thing froze in the first BIOS screen, I mean fast, so I powered EVERYTHING down. I knew something was fishy, so I cleared the CMOS, and when I powered up this time BOOM! The PSU turned into a blue ball, and died. :(
Obviously I did something very very bad, but the only thing I can tell is that I hooked up this "mysterious" lead (I don't know what it's for?
Any suggestions on what I can do now?
Obviously I am going to hook up another power supply (my 450w baby is RIP), but if anyone is familiar with this lead, and what it's for, and what all I have damaged please give me some advice, after working that many hours If I've blown everything in my system, well you see where I'm going.

Please Please help me out here guys.

This lead is different. Would a floppy lead slide right on a mobo fan header with ease?, but play devil's advocate, what would happen to the components if the floppy lead was plugged in a fan header?
If I just fried the power supply? The mobo as well? How about my precious 1.4, or my Gforce 3?
and would any of these symptoms have anything to do with my pelt installation? My pelt is running on an external psu.

killem1x1 said:
This lead is different. Would a floppy lead slide right on a mobo fan header with ease?, but play devil's advocate, what would happen to the components if the floppy lead was plugged in a fan header?
If I just fried the power supply? The mobo as well? How about my precious 1.4, or my Gforce 3?
and would any of these symptoms have anything to do with my pelt installation? My pelt is running on an external psu.

I'm going to pick up a new 450w PSU ina few minutes. I'd rather not toast it as well. If anyone has any ideas for me please post them. I'm sure the RMA deptmt isn't going to take back a PSU that's all black and charred on the inside, and I'd rather not go through all this to find out I've toasted everything.
Thanks Again

Could the PSU have been overloaded an some way? Like did you use more cable splitters than before? Could there have been any short in the system? (i know that if there is one, the PSU wouldn't turn on, but sill, things can happen)

This is a hard one, I'm out of ideas!

Hope this helps!

I'm pretty sure that lead is for a P4 board...

And I can guarantee you that that is what your problem was. You were seding power to something that was trying to output power....not a good idea.

Sorry to hear about your loss, man. That really sucks (though I bet it was pretty cool to see)

It appears I stumped the Gods of OC (Hey, there is a first for everything)
I just found out what the lead was for that is identical to a fan lead, because it is a fan lead... for the power supply, yep my 450w PSU has a lead that is supposed to be plugged in the "POWER-Whatever" fan headers on the mobo. This will allow the mobo to control the fans in the psu (mine has two fans).
I however plugged it in the "Chassi-Fan" Header which did what?
Caused a direct short :(
I got asked if I was sure it wasn't the floppy lead, and also if I was sure it wasn't the P4 lead. Yes, I'm sure, and now I understand.
Buyer beware, the PSU docs stated nothing about this lead, and I had just never plugged it up (until last night), and will not plug up the one on the new PS I just got.
I just hope the mobo and 1.4 still work.
Thanks for the responses though ppl.

I do think that a lil' more attn may need to be paid to this so I'm bumpin it one time. I just want to make sure every1 knows about it soooo...
BumpdaBumpBump <<that's the way we did it in the 70's ;)

Back