• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which water block is better

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Busty St. Clair

okay so i'm looking at water blocks and i narrowed it down to these 4. the whitewater, the waterchill antarctica, dangerden rbx, and the swiftech 5002. i noticed all of them except the swiftech have an almost identical design. so which one should i go with. i will probably have a via 1300 pump, a bix radiator

i would go with the white water. but im still wanting a comparison between the whitewater and the antartica

well it looks like the rbx is out but what about the swifty 5002 it still seams good and i heard it has a really good flow. and the antartica is still left and i heard nothing about that

see i don't really like the waterblock reviews because it talks about head loss, pressure drop, and all of that means nothing to me i'm interested which cools most effectively, i want a test where they stick several waterblocks into an oced system and they give the idle and load temps thats what is most effecive.

those reviews account for just about any variablethat can be controlled. you metioned good flow so that means you have some knowledge of the different factors. the swiftech might be more effective in one situation (such as a weaker pump), while the whitewater will beat it other situations. the reviews can be used as a guide and then you can factor in your system, your pump, and your rad. the rbx is good, but in the review they had problems mounting on an amd. if it had been tested only on a p4, how would you know that? the reviews are very useful if you have the patience for them

The Swifty block is good for pelts and such unlike the other ones you listed. It also has relatively good performance and low pressure drop and head loss. It doesn't benefit as much from higher flow like the WW, RBX, and Antartica.

I'm still waiting for Cathar to make another block like the Cascade :(

Swifty is good for beginners as it is VERY easy to mount... also good for system with weak (relatively) head pressure....

Don't take those reviews for granted. Those people worked VERY hard to get those excellent results... they should provide you with a wide angle of view instead of just "which block gives better temps"

For pumps with high head go with WW as it is the best bang for the buck IMO.

i'm not nocking the reviews its just i'm dumb and i don't understand all the graphs they throw at me it's quite overwhelming. this will be my first wc system and i am learning as much as i can. also does anyone know how the anarctica waterblock is

Busty St. Clair said:
i'm not nocking the reviews its just i'm dumb and i don't understand all the graphs they throw at me it's quite overwhelming. this will be my first wc system and i am learning as much as i can. also does anyone know how the anarctica waterblock is

from joe's tests, compared to an RBX, it has .01 worse C/W at 1gpm (this translates to 1C extra above the water temp on an (overclocked/volted) 100W CPU ) it is also slightly more restrictive (3/8" is probably the reason for that) so if everything else were the same, the RBX system would have slightly more flow than the same system with an antarctica.
http://overclockers.com/articles373/wbsum.asp
from phaestus' tests, the RBX gains more from added flow than a whitewater. the whitewater is markedly better at lower flows and the RBX gains on it, reaching parity at a point in excess of 2gpm (you'd need a vary good pump to deliver this...)
http://www.procooling.com/reviews/html/waterblock_comparison_-_page_2.php

given the "design similarity" between the antarctica and the whitewater i would expect it's response to diferent flows to be also similar. this suggests that the "pecking order" of these blocks (availability/cost/mounting ease considerations aside) is something like:

v high power:
cascade
rbx
whitewater
antarctica

moderate to high power:
cascade
whitewater
rbx
antarctica

low power:
cascade
whitewater
antarctica
rbx

by low power i mean significantly less than 1gpm through the rbx/antarctica - maybe a 3/8" system with several blocks and a weak pump....

Back