• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting Funding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TalRW

I'm a high school junior that would like to build a folding farm for a school project, Being in high school I'm kinda poor, does anyone know how I would go about getting funding for this or is it more or less hopeless.

Principal is a nazi, computer teacher thinks distributed computing shortens CPU life (went ballistic on a kid who installed SETI) I couldn't use the schools computers.

TalRW said:
I'm a high school junior that would like to build a folding farm for a school project, Being in high school I'm kinda poor, does anyone know how I would go about getting funding for this or is it more or less hopeless.

It depends how worthwhile it would be for a company to sponsor such a folding farm. Unless you are going to have a lot of people looking at the farm then most companies wont judge it worth sponsorship.

TalRW said:
Principal is a nazi, computer teacher thinks distributed computing shortens CPU life (went ballistic on a kid who installed SETI) I couldn't use the schools computers.

first off it's not there decision..it's the school board...you have just no Idea how much polotics are in schools...if your serious about this path you can go to the school board meeting an ask for permission there...if the board accepts your proposal you will surpass us all as you could possibly get your whole county to install folding...it's a high goal, but do it...I suspect the novilty of a student approaching the school board with such high goals may impress them...GO FOR IT!

I agree that you should go to the school board. I have read many articles that have said that running a CPU for things like folding does not shorten its life. Even if it does it is still going to last atleast 5 years. At that point what is a replacement going to cost?

Good luck on your endeavor. If you succeed that will look real good on your college applications.

honestly, folding lengthens the life of the cpu since the cpu does not warm up and cool down(expansion and contraction of silicon is not the best thing in the word, ex: like roads)

Back