• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Rebuilt - now can't find CD burner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spidie2000

Registered
Alright before I decide to buy a new burner im gonna check if anyone has any answers here. I have a p4 2.4ghz that I built myself a year or so ago. I just bought a new case for my computer and simply rebuilt the exact same computer into the new case. After doing so my CD-Burner no longer shows up. I thought maybe one of my IDE cables got damaged and tried switching it out with the one I was using for the hard drive and it still doesnt find it.

Before the rebuild I had my regular CD rom as the D: drive. the Burner as the F: Drive and I also have Phantom Cd, Alcohol 120%, and Daemon Tools installed, each of those create their own virtual drive. Those were drives E: , G: and H:

After the rebuilt it still shows D:, E:, G:, and H: but the F: drive (cd burner) does not show under my comp and Add hardware wizard doesnt pick it up. The drive has power and will open and close, does not sound like it is spinning with a cd inserted. I cannot remember the brand name of the burner and I dont have any driver discs that it might have come with. But now when I go to use Nero or the Alcohol burning wizard it asks me to please choose a recordable device.

Anyone ever have a simular problem and knows anything that can be done let me know. I may try pulling the burner and using in another comp to see if it is just broken. If I do i will post results.
Thanks!

Here's what you want to look at. Keep in mind that these are simple things.

Make sure that the BIOS sees the drive. Perhaps the secondary channel is disabled or the drives are set to 'none'.

Make sure that the drive has the proper jumper setting as compared to any other dirves on the same ribbon. Double check the Master/Slave/CS on each drive.

Make sure that the ribbon is not backwards on the drive or MB. Red to pin 1. If the LED lights up and never shuts off, the ribbon is backwards.

Make sure that the drive is getting power. If you see the LED light up you know that you do.

That's about it. There isn't much to IDE.

Welcome to the forums.

Please consider folding for team 32. Check my sig for details or send me a PM.

Im at class right now, so I'll check the BIOS when I get home.... as far as Jumper settings go, everything was left exactly the way it was before I rebuilt the PC into the new case, and everything worked fine until I did the rebuild. the drive has power and the IDE is correctly installed, i'll check BIOS when I get back home and let ya know.
Thanks

If you have a spare ribbon cable, swap it for the one the cd drive is on. It's possible that the cable is no longer good.

Back