• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Major audio Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whitefire05

Registered
im now getting into the stages of my computer car audio system project where i need some advice. The project is about building an extreme audio system for my pc. I have lots of car audio experience and installed them professionaly for a while and am also a computer guru so why not marry them? However i have now run into the problem of how to power the sub amp. i have designed everything but now need a way to get the equivalent of a 12v car battery without using one(sinse then i could never recharge as is done with teh alternater when you drive your car....) so i need to generate approximitly 800 or so watts wich then goes in teh amp in form of 12v line and can be powered by a wall outlet or somthing of this such. secound problem anyone know a good way to shield my hard drives against the major mag fields asociated with speaker drivers (large ones). any advice would be great any questions feel free to ask.

You need a large transformer. Or 12DC power supply. Basically the same thing. Its going to cost you some bucks.

You don't need 800w either. That may be the sound rating, but its not the power draw.

I never could figure out why people always want to use car audio stuff in their house.

You could have gotten 120v amps to power the sub, for less money, that would also sound cleaner and deliver more power.

You don't sheild the HDD, you shield the speakers. Find some big magnets, you have to glue them to the magnet on the back of the woofer, to equalize it out.

the reason i was gunna go car audio was because it was the only thing i thought could power big subs and yes i need 800 rms watts. i didnt know where to buy just component stuff for home. all the stuff is expensive and has built in amps and such and none hits very hard. im used to a 2000 rms watt competition system. but where could i pick up these 120v amps, because you are right not converting from dc to ac would be cleaner sinse power to speakers is in ac.

whitefire05 said:
the reason i was gunna go car audio was because it was the only thing i thought could power big subs and yes i need 800 rms watts. i didnt know where to buy just component stuff for home. all the stuff is expensive and has built in amps and such and none hits very hard. im used to a 2000 rms watt competition system. but where could i pick up these 120v amps, because you are right not converting from dc to ac would be cleaner sinse power to speakers is in ac.

You even know what RMS means?

I don't know what exactally you are looking for, or any of you other requirments. Im not reccommending these amps, Im just pointing you in the dirrection.

http://www.speakercity.com/sub_amp.shtml

www.google.com

I've used an AT power supply with my 600W Rockford Fosgate car amp before, to power a 12" subwoofer, it worked fine, I never had a problem. Now that I've got space and a better speaker, I'm going to set it up again.

Back