• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

another which is better thread, ATI vs DFI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ares350

anyone care to comment on

DFI nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "NFII ULTRA INFINITY"

vs

ABIT nForce2 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "NF7-S"

overclocking potential included.

hearing more potential from the DFI, but some problems as well involving the bios or something?

97$ vs 104, so price doesnt matter.

also, while we're at it, how about

DFI nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "NFII ULTRA INFINITY"

vs

DFI nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "LANPARTY NFII ULTRA B"

I see the ultra B has wireless integrated, comes with a bag.

but though its 40$ more, that is partially offset by the fact that it comes with round cables which I would have to purchase with the other 2. same for the wireless ethernet. between those things, you basicly make up the 40$.

Abit NF7-S Ver2.0 - 3 year warranty

It will out perform the DFI in benchmarks at a lower FSB

There have been some issues with the DFI board, just check the different forums.

The DFI LAN party is the same as the Infinity board as far as OCing goes, same BIOS options, doesn't OC any higher but comes with more goodies, which they charge you for.

Regards, Balrog

read about the issues, but also heard there are bios flashes that fix them.

still not good?

it will be watercooled and overclocked.

using 1 gig mushkin 3200 2-2-2 ram. so Id like to take complete advantage of whatever edge the DFI could offer.

the question is, is that edge worth while?

If the name of the title of this thread is "another which is better thread, ATI vs DFI" I am assuming that you have read the other one.

There seem to be two of these a week. Did you try the search function?

Im also guessing that by ATI you meant ABIT.

So to answer the question again.

The DFIs are not mature yet, still have a good amount of issues, and some BIOS problems.

The ABITs are fast, have many more BIOSes availabe, have more mods and info out on them, and have the potential to be faster than the DFI.

Who cares about the junk they fill the box with. Thats why its $150 instead of $100.

:p I did search actually, but Ill confess to being stupid and searched after I posted. Im sorry, the other thread still didnt totally answer my questions though.

did mean abit.

well ignoring the junk then, figure youll buy 12$ in cables seperate. and ignore the features(I dont have wireless ethernet anyway).

the ultra infinity is priced cheaper actually. and has all the same features I understand.

still siding with the abit then?

I dont want to be held back by the FSB with the pretty expensive ram Im using and the mobile xp chip, watercooled to boot. want to have free range to clock this thing as high as it will run stable.

Try the DFI then. I am still going to wait. I remember what I went through with my NF7 when it came out. Its getting better support.

If you want better FSB's, memory timings and audio, get the DFI Infinity.
If you want a lesser prospect of inexplicable death and higher vcore, get the Abit (for ref, my Mobile 2.4 got 2.602 at 2.13v on the Abit).
I personally, would go with the DFI - but make sure you use BIOS 2/15 or 1/21.
Staph

I've read a lot of reviews comparing mobos with the nForce2 chipset...

If the most important thing for you is performance stick to Abit... reviews show it a bit higher than DFI.

After reading these reviews i buyed an Abit AN7, the "newer" abit mobo. This is some kind of Abit NF7-s v3.0, but i've heard there is a lot of people having problems with it. Probably 'cos of the bios is still new. Well, at least i'd like that instead of design problems... :)

Yeah, I was one of those people.
The AN7 is a stinking POS.
I presume you're suggesting that the NF7 performs better than the DFI clock-for-clock .... well that was just a nasty rumour that's since been resoundingly scotched good and proper.

The DFI all the way - insane FSB overclocks without the need for volt mods. Granted the NF7-S seems less than a pain but it's been out for over a year and has much more user support. The DFI is the win and you'd see the light too if you just gave this motherboard a shot. Both boards are ok, but the DFI is the better buy IMHO.

if you ahve really good ram that can have nice timings and high fsb go with infinity, if your ram is ok but you cant get those 240-250 fsb get the NF7-S. also the infinity has bios problems and the NF7 needs cooling on the southbridge and mosfets and maby some volt mods.

ares350 said:
Ill be going with the infinity then.

Good luck!:) Like these guys say,There are issues with Dfi,but hell that's any board you buy.The main thing is to READ THE FORUMS.:D I like my Dfi board.:D

Back