• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geforce 3 mx/pro/ultra comming out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dissolved

does anyone know for sure when or if there's gonna be a Geforce 3 mx/pro/ultra comming out? and when?
i have a GF 2GTS 64mb and i want the GF3. but id rather wait till newer models come out, but im not sure what i should do. i dont wanna pay 369.99 for the GF3 out now, but i also dont wanna buy a GF2 ultra if it wont do much more the my GTS. any advice ?

Yes, in the next 2 months Nvidia plans on releasing the MX with the Ultra not too far behind.

Expect to pay 20-30% less for the MX and the same difference MORE for the Ultra.

OK... If Nvidia will release GF3 Ultra withing next 4 months, expect GF4 to come out early next year, and maybe GF4 Ultra right before DOOM 3 !!!!!! yeah baby...

If I were you I would wait for GF4... Unless you will buy GF3 now, and GF4 next year.. I just can't accept 30 FPS in DOOM3 using GF3... Trust me DOOM 3, UT2, DUKE forever, will be little TOO much for GF3, and now all games run Perfectly on your GF2...

here he comes..................

I don't know about having GF3 will give you 30 frames on UT2 or Doom 3, such a speculation is really not necessary given the fact that this card is a next generation card.
Consider this Doom 3 and UT 2 is being optimize for GF3 and Kyro II. Kyro II? Yes even Kyro II. So saying that GF3 won't cut it when those games comes out is way out of proportion.

Here's the link that will prove my statement above:

http://www.aceshardware.com/Spades/read.php?article_id=25000230

Last edited:
Well didn't Carmack say that a GF3 with EVERYTHING enabled will run Doom3 at about 30FPS? Who here actually runs with everything enabled unless it's like a very old game that your system entirely outclasses? I know I can turn some things down to get a few frames more. Besides if you can get a consistent 30FPS or so, you don't REALLY need any more.

Shawn

:p

Well he already told you who said DOOM 3 will run at 30FPS.. Also when I have video card like GF3, I want All options to run at MAX.. I don't know you, but I will not play at 800x600 res with GF3, just to get above 30fps..

Also even if the creator of DOOM3 would not make that statement, would your still believe that GF3 could do anything above 30FPS with all options set to the MAX.. I would not.. Ofcourse the GF3 is top of the Line video card, but a year and a half from now, it will be OLD news.. Developers will come out with even Better techniques to Increase Image quality, and I expect Doom 3 engine to be very advanced.. In my opinion little too advanced for GF3.. If it wouldn't then GF 3 life span would be little longer than it is now 1.5 years ( for every GF card).

Oh well I bet most of you will but GF4 the day it comes out, so don't worry. You all will be playing Doom 3 with 60FPS, including me. heh

Buying cards the day they come out is always way overpriced. The geforce 3 halfed its price after only about 2 months. Dont but it the day it comes out at least give it a few weaks for that price to drop. I think its going to be a while for my geforce 2 ultra becomes outdated. I know soon it will not be as top of the line that it is now, but it will still be a good card for some time.

I am not ready to give up my Geeforce2 Ultra for quite some time either. It is such a great card. People get to wopund up in the latest and greatest like it is a status symbal or something. For example a friend of mine got a Geeforce3 a few weeks ago and he was telling me how crappy my card was next to his. I proceeded to take my box over his house and tottaly clean him up on all the benches and gaming perforamnce! A highly overclocked and tweaked system is really capable of putting people like that in there place :)

I'll upgrade when I can no longer play games smoothly on my 21" monitor at 1152x864 32bit with all quality options in games maxed out, not a minute sooner.

Everyone remember SLi (3Dfx's answer to DDR)? well the GF4 could be using that with DDR for some major bandwidth...and if they use the card that 3Dfx WAS about to release (imagine a KyroII with 4 pipelines [it has 2] running 400Mhz, with DDR and SLi) then well have some major gaming card on the way. (DDR+SLi=12.8 or so Gb/sec of memory bandwidth).

And 3Dfx had the card working in house juuuuuuust B4 NVidia bought them :(

NVIDIA tends to follow the Spring release - Fall refresh schedule.

IMO, it doesn't make sense to get the initial release of the card. You pay more than you should for a card that generally is still in beta.

By the time the fall refresh comes out there are usually newer steppings, operating at higher freqencies, with better drivers for less money. I don't know about you, but that seems like a "no-brainer" to me.

Then of course, if that wasn't enough reason to wait, there's always the prospect of the competiton releasing cards that will drive the price down further.

You were right to wait for the GeForce3. It is soon to be obsolesced by its own progeny that will cost about the same and games will finally start showing up that will make use of its power.

Back