• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just did my Droop Mod -- pics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LuckMan212

just did my first Droop Mod. did the VDimm mod too while I was in there.... came out pretty nice if ya ask me-- especially for my first time.

I used Macci's alternate solder points for the droop mod, it seemed much easier than trying to attach to that tiny little cap. As for the wire, I used Kynar "wire wrap" wire from Radio Shack, a 15W iron with a small tip that I filed down to a razor point, and your basic 60/40 solder (.022 dia), the Trimpots I got from Allied Electronics, they were a little pricey but they mounted really nice with some Krazy glue and are lower-profile than some of the others I've seen people use.

Now I just have to put it all together and make sure I don't see smoke!!:D

here's the pics (sorry they may be a bit blurry, my cam doesn't do macro too well...)

vdimm mod:
IMG_1701.JPG

IMG_1703.JPG

droop mod:
IMG_1704.JPG

IMG_1705.JPG

Best job I've seen yet (better than mine)...

thanks man!! :p
I was dreading this mod actually, and been putting it off for months... finally got up the courage and did it. I just got through testing it and everything is working (phew) I really owe everything to the pioneers before me who figured this all out.

got a Q: my Droop mod pot is set to 35k as per the xtremesystems thread, and when I take readings in the bios, the VCORE set to 1.600 yields a reading of 1.632 ~ 1.640. I know the ASUS tends to overvolt a bit but is this normal? I tried turning the resistance down to ~26k but it didn't make a difference.

Is there any setting on the trimpot that will make it dead on accurate so that 1.600 in BIOS = 1.600 actual VCORE?
If anyone has any info, pls. post! thanks!!:p

Last edited:
invisible hand said:
How much did the parts cost?

the wire & solder from radio shack was about $5 total I think. The trimpots were $2.40 ea. That was the most expensive part. Altogether I think I spent about $10 and about 20 minutes to do the actual mods.

Q: can you take resistance measurements "in place" ?

in other words--- I have my droop mod already installed, when I measured the pot before installation I set it to ~35k Ohm, but once it is installed, the reading is different. Now I monkeyed around with it, and I forget what it read after installation. I don't want to desolder the wires because it's very difficult to do with the board installed.

Does anyone know if you can take measurements with the mod in place, and what the readings should be? I am afraid to turn the machine back on now -- will I blow my CPU if this trimpot is set wrong? or will the droop mod just not work right?

please, help! thanks.

Stiffler69 said:
what does this mod exactly do??

865/875 asus mobos have a "droop" problem where under load, heavily OCd systems will show a substantial drop in VCORE (cpu voltage) that can affect stability and overclockability. Example- you set your VCORE to 1.65v and then run Prime95, it may drop down to <1.50v!! This is terrible and can cause lockups, etc.

The droop mod is supposed to stabilize these voltages.

LuckMan212 said:

Is there any setting on the trimpot that will make it dead on accurate so that 1.600 in BIOS = 1.600 actual VCORE?
If anyone has any info, pls. post! thanks!!:p

Thats a very good Question i would like to kno that also

well I've been reading and messing around with the trimpot on my Droop mod searching for the 'sweet spot' .. what I've found is that the droop mod seems to add about 0.05v to whatever you have in the BIOS.

ALSO at least on my system-- no matter WHAT I do to the trimpot after that (10 turns left, 10 turns right etc) it doesn't seem to make 1 bit of difference as far as I can tell.... maybe I'm missing something but I have tried reading the voltage with my meter (at the wound Coils above the CPU) as well as monitoring in the BIOS/MBM readings, and it doesn't really budge more than 0.01v. So either I did something wrong or thats just the way it is?

I will say this though-- that droop mod really works. Now I set vcore to 1.65 in BIOS, reads 1.66~1.68 in Windows and only dips to 1.62 under full load (2 instances of Prime95)

anyone else got info on this or similar/different results?? pls post.

Last edited:
adjusting Trimpot "inline"

To anyone wondering, I think I have found the correct way to adjust a 47/50k Trimpot "inline" meaning if you already have installed the droop mod but you turned the screw, and you want to get back to 33k for example......... just take a reading and multiply by 1.66666666

so for example, if I want 33k, I divide by 1.6666 and get a value of ~19.8k. So if I adjust my Trimpot to read 19.8k then it has a "true" value of 33k.

I tested this on my particular board and Pot so I don't know for sure if it will be the same for everyone but I wanted to share this regardless.

HTH :D

Is there a link for the "how to" on the vdroop mod? Been looking around but can't find anything for the P4C800-E DX, only some photos.

Thanks

redken said:
Is there a link for the "how to" on the vdroop mod? Been looking around but can't find anything for the P4C800-E DX, only some photos.

Thanks

just do a search for "droop mod" over on xtremesystems.org, thats where I found it.... look for Macci's version (a pic with 2 small blue dots on it that label the solder points) it's easier to do than the original.

You will need a 33k resistor or a 50k VR and some steady hands!

Thanks for the reply

I have looked at extremesystems, but have only found 2 similar threads about people that heve done the mod and made reference to the Macci's version, but have not found the "original" thread were macci explained how to do it (if there was and "original" thread) I will keep looking tho, I'm planning on doing this today.

Also you answered the question I had on this thread,Thanks (that was fast!)
but still don't know if using a 1/4 watt resistor is good?

Thats some good looking work.

My only comment would be to add some shrink wrap around the wires, you do not want any bare leads. Anything is possible.

Back