• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.8C or 2.8E???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have both. The 2.8E is more of a challenging to cool. The 2.8C will slightly outperform the Prescott at the same clock speed. I'd recommend waiting until the new Prescott stepping is out before trying it. I think you'll be happier for the time being with the 2.8C.

The 1MB L2 helps alot for SETI@home (which I run almost 24/7) and Windows boots noticeably faster into the GUI. Other than that there's no difference compared to my old 2.8C, and cooling and power needs are a b!itch. I'm running an Enermax 460W PSU with a 33Amp +12V line.

well, i've got/can get good cooling, would you suggest that i get this chip ? its the same price as the 2.8C.

Nope. I would recommend the 2.8C even if the 2.8E was a little cheaper. Overclocking is really hit and miss with 2.8E's and the temps are just to hot to be comfortable with.

I wasn't very happy with my 2.8E. Max O/C with it was 3.25GHz, and the idle temp was about 45C.

I know its not a choice, but the 3.0C seems to be the best overclocking chip right now out of the NW chips. It might be worth the extra few bucks.

I saw 2.8E is only available curently in C0 stepping!!!

It just apeared in Hungary!!! :eek:

I'll definetaly buy the Prescott; 'cos of the 1MB cache!!!
What do u guys think: when will the M0 or D1 steppings arive???

This is obviously my fault: :rolleyes:
The 2.8C is 10$ cheaper in "simple" stores!!!

The government in Hungary has a programme called
SULINET. (SchoolNET in English.)
This means that u can buy hardware almost for free.
(You get ur tax back up to 60k Forints [209$])

I found a 2.8E Prescott for 53k Forints [262$]
The 2.8C is 58k Forints [287$]

So I think I'll buy a Prescott, which is obviously cheaper in "Schoolnet"!!!

p.s.:
Does any1 know what the xtra 512 kB cache can be used 4???

I think I could ise it for video editing and other stuff.
If u know anything about what it could be used for: TELL ME!!!

I'll soon get Net @ home so I guess I'll be using this SETI thing!!!

[[[CETI is more interesting though!!! :D ]]]

I said I'm an amateur VJ so I want to use the 512 kB+ cache 4 video editing and other VISUALISTION stuff!!! ;)

I've got a prescott 2.8E and i'm pretty happy with it. Temperature could get a little high without proper cooling but so far so good for me. At the moment i have it running at 3.5 ghz on stock voltage (1.385V) completely stable.

I cant really compare it with a 2.8C because i never had one but yeah, more then happy with the prescott.

OC Noob said:
I know its not a choice, but the 3.0C seems to be the best overclocking chip right now out of the NW chips. It might be worth the extra few bucks.

from what im reading it looks like the current batch of 2.8c are running real good.

i picked one up for my new unit. i will let u know how it works out.
\ :beer:

I just upgraded from a celeron tualatin 1400 to a P4 2.8e. I checked the cpu temp in the bios and it was at 50*. Is this high? I've never had a P4 before, in fact, when they came out, I think I was using a P1. But anyway, what are suitable stock temps by your standards? Thanks in advance.

Back