• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding program slowing down my internet???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
anyone? could it be using up all my available bandwith?

I would have to say "no". There is a *slight* chance that the instance you were loading a page the client was sending/receiving a WU but I've never had my connection slow because of folding.

Wedo

I had my cable slow down for about a minute or two when it sent a WU, but I also have 4 people on a cable connection and I wa streaming a 300k movie at the time and it just lagged me a little.

Generally nope. Maybe when sending/receiving units but not when you're folding...

Hmmmm how fast is your rig? It's possible you notice some slow downs if your rig is sub-1GHz.

As already stated, FAH does not slow down your internet. When you first intall, it may need to download the new core plus a work unit. About a meg in all. Once it starts working on that unit, you do not need to be connected. It uses no bandwidth. When it is done with that unit, it sends it back to Stanford and downloads a new unit.

That's it. While running, it is set to level 0 for CPU priority. That means that if ANY other process what s the CPU, it will take it from FAH.

Folding slows down my internet for ~5-10 minutes each time it finished a WU, sends it in, and gets another. This is only because I'm on dial-up. Won't be a problem soon though, I'm getting cable. :D On cable it should take less than a minute.

Back