• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my new 2.8c versus dual AMD xp's...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dustybyrd

i'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but i am talking about both intel and amd chips here so...here goes...

i just recently sold one of my dual-cpu amd a7m266-d systems (that was at 2x2.1ghz 14x150mhz)

and i put together this 2.8c on an AI7 board with dual channel 512mb hyperx ram and a 36 gb raptor...

so far, to be honest, i'm not impressed with the overall performance compared to the dual AMD...

it clocks stable to 3.2ghz with default voltage and the stock heat sink (it can run up to 3.39ghz with 1.67 volts...but way too hot and now i know also not 100% stable)

i am putting on a slk947u and 92mm ~50cfm fan tonight to see if i can get more speed with 1.7v or so and less heat...

it definitely benches well with multimedia type programs (like mp3 or mpeg encoding, decoding...and i'm sure very well in games...but this isn't a gaming machine and has a pathetic video card anyway)...and the memory bandwidth is more than 5gb/sec or about 3 times the dual AMD's bandwidth....

but, to me, it doesn't respond as spritely as i would like when i do what i normally do on a computer:

photoshop, powerpoint, surf, email, download....etc all at the same time...

what i'm finding is that it doesn't feel as snappy when i go "click crazy" like i typically do...

but i'm not done overclocking it yet...and i haven't given it enough use to know for sure...

but a dual AMD 2.4ghz duallie can be made fairly easily now with the new mobile chips (for $150---or less than 1 intel p4 2.8c) and the board for both is about the same price $100-150...

in my opinion that should have been expected, dualies are always going to be better at encoding and multitasking in general, why did you switch to a single processor anyway?

What OS do you have on the 2.8c?

windows xp *PRO*....and hyperthreading is enabled...

you know, i'm still testing it and i'm just about to install the slk947 and that should help achieve higher clocks at higher voltage...

*EDIT* in PRO

Last edited:
in my opinion that should have been expected, dualies are always going to be better at encoding and multitasking in general, why did you switch to a single processor anyway?

actually i think the p4 runs encoding better than a highly o/c'd AMD...and only if the program is SMP enabled is the dual AMD going to perform better than the p4 with multimedia applications...

but, with the hyperthreading, the p4 is probably as good if not better on SMP enabled encoding programs than a dual 2.1ghz AMD...

but, i definitely think you're right about the dual systems being better at multitasking than the p4c...

one thing i noticed is that with seti (in it's GUI form...ie screensaver program), the p4c is not as fast as the dual AMD...i think this is because the screensaver seti program is SMP enabled...ie the graphics are done by one processor and the calculations by another...

Last edited:
one thing i just noticed with the p4...

loading 20+ images (or just loading any number of images) in general is much faster (maybe twice as fast...i'll have to check) versus the dual AMD...

probably because of the much faster RAM speeds...and the faster quad pumped bus speeds...

interestingly enough i had the opposite experience. i had the same mobo with 2 1700's but at only 1650mhz each not 2200 like yours. its the slowest rig i've had since my athlon 1000 which is pretty slow by todays standards. everything was very sluggish.

all my p4 rigs have always been very quick and far better than the dually i had.

interestingly enough i had the opposite experience. i had the same mobo with 2 1700's but at only 1650mhz each not 2200 like yours. its the slowest rig i've had since my athlon 1000 which is pretty slow by todays standards. everything was very sluggish.

all my p4 rigs have always been very quick and far better than the dually i had.

and actually, the only other person i've talked to about using both the dual xp and the p4 is DaveB....and he basically said something similar to you...namely the p4 felt faster to him...and he had 2.3ghz dual xp and 3.4+ghz p4...

i would definitely think your 1650mhz duallie would be noticeably slower than 2.2ghz...but i was surprised when DaveB thought his 2.3ghz dual (also on the asus) felt slower to him...

oh yeah, one other thing...your p4's are really really fast, maxvla...

you either try a lot of chips or a great tweaker, or you are one lucky clocker or maybe a combination....'cause you're comparing p4's at nearly 4ghz :D

dustybyrd said:

and actually, the only other person i've talked to about using both the dual xp and the p4 is DaveB....and he basically said something similar to you...namely the p4 felt faster to him...and he had 2.3ghz dual xp and 3.4+ghz p4...

i would definitely think your 1650mhz duallie would be noticeably slower than 2.2ghz...but i was surprised when DaveB thought his 2.3ghz dual (also on the asus) felt slower to him...

oh yeah, one other thing...your p4's are really really fast, maxvla...

you either try a lot of chips or a great tweaker, or you are one lucky clocker or maybe a combination....'cause you're comparing p4's at nearly 4ghz :D
in all honesty i was actually comparing it to a stock 2.4b :eek:

the p4 was much better even at stock and no HT.

dustybyrd said:
i'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but i am talking about both intel and amd chips here so...here goes...

i just recently sold one of my dual-cpu amd a7m266-d systems (that was at 2x2.1ghz 14x150mhz)

and i put together this 2.8c on an AI7 board with dual channel 512mb hyperx ram and a 36 gb raptor...

so far, to be honest, i'm not impressed with the overall performance compared to the dual AMD...

it clocks stable to 3.2ghz with default voltage and the stock heat sink (it can run up to 3.39ghz with 1.67 volts...but way too hot and now i know also not 100% stable)

i am putting on a slk947u and 92mm ~50cfm fan tonight to see if i can get more speed with 1.7v or so and less heat...

it definitely benches well with multimedia type programs (like mp3 or mpeg encoding, decoding...and i'm sure very well in games...but this isn't a gaming machine and has a pathetic video card anyway)...and the memory bandwidth is more than 5gb/sec or about 3 times the dual AMD's bandwidth....

but, to me, it doesn't respond as spritely as i would like when i do what i normally do on a computer:

photoshop, powerpoint, surf, email, download....etc all at the same time...

what i'm finding is that it doesn't feel as snappy when i go "click crazy" like i typically do...

but i'm not done overclocking it yet...and i haven't given it enough use to know for sure...

but a dual AMD 2.4ghz duallie can be made fairly easily now with the new mobile chips (for $150---or less than 1 intel p4 2.8c) and the board for both is about the same price $100-150...

Dude, I wouldn't have sold/traded or whatever you did to that dullie. Just curious, why did you do it?

Re: Re: my new 2.8c versus dual AMD xp's...

Dude, I wouldn't have sold/traded or whatever you did to that dullie. Just curious, why did you do it? [/B]

i sold it because i don't do as much hard core multitasking at work...and i wanted to try the p4 hyperthreader...

the switch cost almost nothing after the sale of the duallie...

i still have one great duallie left ;)

i'm doing some stability and speed tests now with the slk947u and 3.3ghz (1.7v) and prime95x2 as well as seti, etc...

the temps did drop to manageable levels (52C full load...35C no load)....

but i couldn't get 3.4ghz stable even at 1.7v...seti crashes it

this is an sl6wt, boxed 2.8c processor from newegg...

looks like i got a weak chip

Re: Re: Re: my new 2.8c versus dual AMD xp's...

dustybyrd said:

i sold it because i don't do as much hard core multitasking at work...and i wanted to try the p4 hyperthreader...

the switch cost almost nothing after the sale of the duallie...

i still have one great duallie left ;)

I get bored and change stuff up now and then too.

If you decide to get rid of that other dullie I'd be willing to trade you my P4/IC7-g for your board and chips:D

As for the 2.8, is it too late to take it back/RMA? You may want to go for a 3.0. You should get a pretty sweet OC with one of those.

why didnt you go dual p4's?

they would have to be xeons...since p4's can't be used in dual...

but the cost for the xeons is much higher and IMHO not worth it...

$200+ for each chip and $200+ for the board...more than double the price of a dual 2.4ghz AMD system now....

and the difference between the two (~15% on some multimedia apps) is not worth double the price...

Re: Re: Re: Re: my new 2.8c versus dual AMD xp's...

If you decide to get rid of that other dullie I'd be willing to trade you my P4/IC7-g for your board and chips:D

As for the 2.8, is it too late to take it back/RMA? You may want to go for a 3.0. You should get a pretty sweet OC with one of those. [/B]

i think i'll be keeping my home duallie intact for quite a while now...the way i see it now...if windows longhorn is too much for this system...then i'd have to change then...(2005 or later)...and if needed, i can set the voltage to 1.8v and hit 2.4ghz for a little more juice...

it's not too late to take the 2.8c back...but i'm not doing that for a few hundred mhz (if i'm lucky that time)....you never know...i might get an even worse chip :/

after having used the p42.8c at 3.3ghz for a few days now...

i have some more opinions on it vs. the dual 2.2ghz barton system...

since i upgraded the video card (from a pci 16mb tnt to a ti4800 300/600) i feel like the system is just as fast...and maybe faster than my dual 2.2ghz AMD system...

however, even with hyperthreading, i do notice some slow downs with the p4 and occasional "getting stuck" when i go multitask crazy...that i don't notice on the true dual AMD...

overall nice system though...

dustybyrd said:
after having used the p42.8c at 3.3ghz for a few days now...

i have some more opinions on it vs. the dual 2.2ghz barton system...

since i upgraded the video card (from a pci 16mb tnt to a ti4800 300/600) i feel like the system is just as fast...and maybe faster than my dual 2.2ghz AMD system...

however, even with hyperthreading, i do notice some slow downs with the p4 and occasional "getting stuck" when i go multitask crazy...that i don't notice on the true dual AMD...

overall nice system though...

The real problem is that the AMD AthlonMP dual boards are not keeping up with the single boards as far as performance. If you ran 2 Mobile Bartons at 2.6+Ghz and had Dual Channel memory above PC3200 speeds like the singles are doing I doubt youd be very interested in any single chip P4 system.....in fact the only thing a P4 3.4 w/HT on has on the Mobile Barton @ 2.6+ speeds is video encoding...and even then its hardly a bad performance for the Barton...

Back