• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Woops i did it!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Magneto

Registered
I just finished making a funky looking fan adaptor out of an old metal lid to attach an 80mm fan to my HS. All was going fine and I had a temp drop but nothing great so I play around with my fan master (trying to keep it quiet) forgetting I put it on low I go play a game, once I finished I find my CPU is at 85c! :eek:

I nearly soiled my underwear turning it off, I opened the side angrily taking the adaptor off to put on the noisy fan I had before, just then I found out what really happened. :(

What annoys me most is my alarm failed to make a noise so I think ill use my fan master’s temp alarm as software is too likely to mess up again.

Dukemurmur said:
wow u are lucky that it didn't fry as that is most chips temp tolerance limit. I can't belive that it didn't crash!!!!!!!!!

Yeah i know but this thunderbird has been running 60+ for years, must be made of strong stuff! :D

i coudlnt even poull that off in my room...after five mins i'd start sweating as my room climbed towards 75 then 80F....and i'd decide to check my temps. glad you cought it!

Well...It is lucky that you caught it before anything was damaged, though I reccomend that you have your failsafes rechecked and try to see if you can get that alarm working...you might not be so lucky next time.

60's is not at all uncommon for athlons. It's uncommon on this forum because people here pay attention and know what they are doing. Even with 3 case fans (including 1 vantec tornado and 2 50 cfm YS fans), a large all copper heatsink, silver thermal interface material, and a low ambient temp, I can't cool my athlon 1700+ to anything under 55C with load.

Many people who don't pay attention run their athlons in the 60's or even in the 70's. Sometimes this causes instability, but not always. It just depends on the chip. My father ran his duron in the 90's for months. It lost a lot of clock cycles to failed instructions but when I cooled it off some it began working just fine again.

It's true I was lazy and never bothered to get a decent HS but doesn't really matter now as ill be upgrading soon so ill make sure I get everything in order this time round! ;)

I have sorted my fan master probes and attached them to all the main bits but is it ok just using some insulation tape on the CPU and GPU heat sinks?

Back