• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two Pumps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeViL_909

Ok guys I am builing an acrylic case and I am doing a lot of custom work. My question to you all is that what will happen if I use two pumps to deal with more restriction in my water cooling.
I was thinking of having a set up like this (the multiple res may sould wierd, but it is for asthetics in the case so just go with it)

pump-cpu-vpu-res-pump-res-rad-res-back to original pump

Will this work the way I want it to, or is a little demon going to pop up out of the computer and smack me.

(the pumps would be 2 hydor L30s @320gph)

Last edited:
It would work but theres not much point in having a pump pumping into a res.

This would work better

pump-cpu-vpu-res-pump-rad-res-back to original pump

Sonds like you are intent on using 3 res tho. :)

I don't want to give to much away until the project is in motion, but here is a little info...

Ok basically what is going to happen is that there are going to be two haves of an acrylic cylinder on front of case and one round acrylic ball inside the case. These will be the res.

Pump---CPU------VPU-----RES-----Pump-----Res (water is going down)-----radiator---Res (this time water is going up)----back to original pump

I hope that helps a little.

Last edited:
The only problem I have with going from res-pump-rad-res is that there is no room to put the pump in between. and if I did mange by some ungodly mod (probly look like a cancer on the side of case) it would look very much out of place.

::Looks around:: "Kinda Lonely in here..." ::sniffs:: "No one loves me..."

Well I have been keeping up with it, but it turned into a seeming endless war between who was guessing and who was not. I am trying to see if it is even possible to do this and if it is, will it help or hurt. Thank you for the reply, I was wondering when someone was going to break down and answer the lone fool in this post

Well, it's possible. And there would be some sort of increase in performance. However, for the price of 2 L30's I'd go for an MCP600 or, if you have the room, look for an iwaki on ebay. :D

The reason I thought about two pumps is cause there is a such a big up and down movement between res and other stuff. Maybe a bigger pump would be best. I just thought that having a push pull effect with them seperated would help the pumps run and get through all the resistance

water up = water down (IN A CLOSED LOOP) once you pump it up, it wants to flow down. this offsets the preasure needed to push up...

the 2nd pump will only take the preasure from the 1st pump and add (85% +/-10% ie guess) to it. (they dont "pull" well) BUT it will also add its heat to the loop...

i would try to have a pump outlet into a WB or a rad rather than a res (no math to back me up, gutt feeling)

GOOD LUCK

PS (side of case=big flat res?)

got any idea on how to incorperate a duel loop with the parts and layout I discribed? Also I don't believe that the L30 is going to put too much heat into the water, specially since it will be going right to the radiator. maybe a degree or too, but I am willing to sacrifice that for functionality.

Back