• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duallie Folding Mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fast-Fob

Whats up guys. Long time no post.

I've been stewing ever since I got kicked out
of the top 100. (Lost my P3 duallie that should be
back online soon, lost a few 2.4Ghz P4 machines at
my old job and some smaller random rigs) My plan
to get back into action is with a Farm of AMD Duallies.

Whats a good Duallie AMD board?
Would a 350W sparkle PSU be able to handle 2
Duallie Mobos?

I'm sure I'll have more questions or what not laters.
Thanks!!!

I think a 350w Sparkle should be up to it, provided you're not running more than one hard drive and you don't have a high end graphics card or anything. If it's strictly a folding rig, then the Sparkle should work just fine.

You might poke around the SMP section to see what some good dual boards are - I don't have a clue.

MSI K7D Master L is a great board. I have 2 of them. Onboard lan but no onboard video... I do NOT recommend running 2 of these with 1 PSU, you will fry something in short order. Get one PSU per board, just ask Wedo about his farm nightmares and he is using single CPU boards.

I also have an MSI K7D Master. I love it so much. I rarely have any problems with it. Nothing runs better than a dual CPU PC. Nice and smooth, as well as lots of folding power.

Axle

I use a K7D Master with two unlocked Bartons and it is because of this rig that I will probably never go back to a single cpu for my main computer again.

However, if I were in the market right now for a dually, I'd consider a dual xeon as the prices have dropped significanlty in the last few months.

Dual Xeon mobo ~$250-300
Two 2.4Ghz Xeons ~$470

So for $800 you get a stomping dual HT system (assuming you have the other goodies).

Or...

To stick with the AMD set:

GIGABYTE AMD-760 MPX ~$181
Two MP 2600+ ~$272

So for $453 you get an MP that should fold really well too.

Wedo

EDIT: You might be able to unlock the XP's and save even more $$$ on the AMD system.

P.S. Don't skimp Wattage for the PSU's and keep them cool. I fried three mobo's on my farm because the generic 350W psu's heated up too much and crapped out. For a dually, get at least a 450W and don't even try to run two mobo's from one psu unless you start with a 500W.

Though I have had duallies in the past, HT is starting to flex it's muscle

MSI K7D Master L refurb $99
2xMP 2400's refurb $150
_______
$249
vs

Gigabyte 865PE refurb $54
P4 2.4C refurb $119
____
$173

Give similar results and P4 is cheaper, just a thought!

Oh wow.
Thanks Guys, and Wedo.. I guess I missed the posts about
the 3 fried Mobos. I can stick to the 1 psu per Board. I was
kinda weary about the spaghetti wiring job I know i'd
end up doing. =D

Papsomax,
Will a P4 w/ HT (w/ 2 instances of FAH) really fold
comparable to a Dually 2400s (w/ 2 instances of FAH)?
That 70 dollar difference really matters in a farm.

Papsomax,Will a P4 w/ HT (w/ 2 instances of FAH) really fold comparable to a Dually 2400s (w/ 2 instances of FAH)?

A single Althon XP 2400-2800 let's say avg 550-600 ppw, a single P4 x.xC avgs 1000-1300 ppw.

My mistake - I thought he said one board per PSU. Yeah, definitely not two boards on a single 350w. One 350w per board please. :D

I have a fortron 300 watter running 2 boards with NO problems. I did have a generic 300 watter die but this 120mm fanned 300 watt Forton is Strong like bull! I wouldn't be afraid to double up on these and there are ATX PSU splitters that make the wiring that much easier. Now when it comes to a dually, I would use 1 PSU per layer. I have been wanting to see a dually farm with a few dually layers! Go for it!

why on earth would you split a psu when a decent low power psu is so cheap??????

fortron 300-350w psu's are about 20-25 bucks. :confused:

Maxvla said:
why on earth would you split a psu when a decent low power psu is so cheap??????

Cause then I save $20 - $25 every other layer I make. :)

sorry... forgive me 20 bucks just isn't anything to me.. as you can see by my sig. lol :eek:

Maxvla said:

Five reasons:

1. Cost
2. Heat
3. Noise
4. Space
5. Because we can!

I like running two mobo's from one psu just for the personal satisfaction that you're not supposed to. :D

Linky for the ATX power cable splitter.

Wedo

:Edit: I believe my psu/mobo carnage was cause by two factors: Heat, and the screwdriver I used to power up my layers. I think I shorted one mobo out and then two others were trashed when a psu over heated. Everything seems fine now with the 480W Axio PSU's I bought for $19.

Fast-Fob said:
Will a P4 w/ HT (w/ 2 instances of FAH) really fold
comparable to a Dually 2400s (w/ 2 instances of FAH)?

No, as of now HT can not compete with a true MP system.

Axle

Back