Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Storage
Storage SSDs, HDDs, CD/DVD/Bluray
Forum Jump

help me decide on a new HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 03-27-04, 04:42 PM Thread Starter   #1
vietp13

help me decide on a new HD

well ya my 80gb maxtor went pooof... so basically i need your help on deciding a harddrive. well im planning on to but 120-160gb hd.. so can you guys give me few brands thats good sturdy and reliable and price is a little bit of a matter of issue also
vietp13 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-27-04, 05:18 PM   #2
shadowdr

10 Year Badge

Any drive is only as good as it's warranty.The fluid bearings are pretty quiet and cause less heat.My old ball bearing Maxtors are like hot plates and the newer fluid ones are cool to the touch.

2x 128 Crucial M4 SSD for OS and one for Programs
2x 640 WD Blacks for storage
Rosewill Blackhawk case and Antec 750 New PS
Corsair H100I cooling
XFX 290
JVC 32 inch LCD TV
Windows 7 Pro X64

Heat
shadowdr is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-27-04, 06:38 PM   #3
tom10167

10 Year Badge

If you like quiet hard drives, get a Seagate, if you don't care about noise, get a Western Digital, both GREAT companies. I'd get SATA either way, virtually no price difference.
tom10167 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-27-04, 07:00 PM Thread Starter   #4
vietp13

sata is recommended?
Old 03-27-04, 07:21 PM   #5
CrashOveride

Western Digital 160Gb is what I would get.
The price differnce isn't great enough to justify not getting a 160Gb over a 120Gb IMO
And I would get a Maxtor but their RMA policy is a little more strict and ahrder to deal with than WD's.
SATA if you have the stuff for it or don't mind spending a little, but remember htat it can be harder to install an OS onto an SATA drive if you don't have native SATA.

.....AIUHB0252@2300mhz.SP-97~Abit.NF7-S~512.RAM@fast.timings~9700Pro.w/.copper.HSF.~.2.monitors
.................................................. ..Windows XP because I have conditions
....Fold.for.[OC]FoldingNinjas!!!....You .would.be.amazed.at.what.a.group.of.intelegent.peo ple.can.overlook
...............................................All.blanket.statments.are.false|Nothing.is.absoloute.
............................Don't.Let.ThermalTake.Your.Money~|~Are.You.Into.Th at.Hacky.Stuff?
AKA:supaiku
.................................................. ........Can.you.find.the.ninja.in.my.avatar?!?!
CrashOveride is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-27-04, 07:28 PM Thread Starter   #6
vietp13

bah... i like a hassle free life and my limits around 100 bucks so i just go ata wd 120jb one, thanks for the advise guys

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Storage
Storage SSDs, HDDs, CD/DVD/Bluray