• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

God Please Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

intox

k everybody i really need help! i tried installing my old hard drive from my old comp as a slave drive and it has win98 on it. i booted into win98 and it installed some drivers for my video card radeon9800 automatically. so then i tried to boot into winxp and nothing. i booted into safe mode and it worked fine except it would not let me uninstall or install ati drivers because it said that i didnt have and ati cards installed. after that i did a system restore and then.... tried to boot and i wouldnt even POST!!! i tried clearing the CMOS and still nothing.... guys i really need your help on this one.
athlon xp 2500+ (no oc)
Abit nf7-s
256 mb ram
sapphire radeon 9800np
maxtor 160gb sata hdd
antec truepower 430W
pleeeez help me out i really need this fixed

First make sure everything is connected properly. It could be that something somewhere is dislodged slightly.

If that doesn't work, start taking bits out to see if you can get it to POST. I'd start with the hard drives. Then PCI cards, then graphics cards, then memory. If still nothing dead CPU or motherboard.

Hopefully it won't be as bad as that, but I have had an unexplained death as well on occasion.

all the parts are working fine. i still get beeps and stuff from the mobo (but theyre very irregular). keyboard lights up and i dont have pci cards. ill try taking out the hdd and see if it will post. i know for a fact that all the parts work, cause they were working one minute then the next they werent
im going to try clearing the cmos for about an hour. any other suggestions?

Working one minute then not the next could mean that you managed to fry something with some static electricity.

You never wore a wrist strap did you?

i dont think i fried anything...or at least i hope i didnt. even if i did, it doesnt explain why it wont POST. im gonna stick with clearing the CMOS for a while. but its weird cuz after i closed my comp back up. it booted a few times fine into safe mode. but out of no where, it stopped posting. im thinking it might be the video card. if anything got messed up by static, it would be that. still under warranty, so if its that i can finally get a 9800pro :D now to get a pci vid card to test it out...

wrist straps are overrated.

1. take off socks, the little bastids create static electricty and store it pretty well.

2. touch the case every so often (like before and after you do something)

3. enjoy working hardware.

as for your problem, i'd surely hope you tried your original master drive. is there a reason you didn't format over the old win98 partition?

edit: wait a second, you had it as SLAVE and it booted in?
whiskey tango foxtrot?

i always touch the case when i'm working in my case (ive heard some bad stories). 7keys, take what off? the video card? himura-dono, it booted the win98 hdd first because i forgot to switch the boot order in the bios (was at hdd-0). right now im trying to boot with my original hdd (only have one) but still not posting. i put the cmos jumper in the clear position and i just got back from a movie so its been like that for about 3 hours. still not posting. any other help? i might try to get a pci video card to see if that's the problem.

i was right about the display adapter problem. i took out the video card and put it back in and now everything works just like it did before. i wanna thank all of you for your help. i am very greatful of how you came and replied to my thread so quickly. thanks again

Back