• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to ocing have some questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

r C c O l a

Hey I'm thinking about getting a 2500 mobile for overclocking on my new nf7-s board. I have never overclocked anything before and I'm finding overclocking pretty interesting and want to try it out. It may become my new hobby:). Just had a couple questions. How important is the voltage? What is the typical sequence in overclocking? Such as adjusting the fsb first, then the multiplier, then voltage. Or does it not matter what order you adjust stuff in? And is overclocking a mobile 2500 out of my league when this is my first attempt to overclocking? And does anyone have any beginner tips?

Usually an overclock is an overclock, so no need to worry about anything being out of your league. Unless you are looking to do voltage mods you're pretty safe for anything in an overclock.

Normally with overclocking you start by bumping the multiplier if you can. If you can't change that then straight on to the FSB. As soon as you find a FSB that you can boot to Windows with but it's not quite stable to run very long, then you move onto voltage. You can also play with RAM timings as well and sometimes you have to find the right RAM timing / voltage combo to stay stable. (it's easy and painless all around)

Voltage is important for keeping your processor stable at higher speeds than it's rated for. But voltage is also what heats up your processor, which is why the mobile athlons are so cool. They run fast at a low stock voltage so there's a lot of room to grow.

Hope that helps.

Good advice!

This is what I do to get the best out of overclocking.

Underclock my multiplyer a little. Start clocking your FSB up untill it no longer boots, Up the voltage a little bring down the fsb speed to boot stable. Now you have found the fsb best clock speed.

Start clocking up the multiplyer Again untill a little unstable or no boot. Up your Vcore a bit you should you boot.

Check your temp during the overclocking process.

I overclock my fsb first as there is more performance from the fsb than the multiplyer iv found. Anyways, when in windows download sisoftsandra 2004 run burn wizard have your Probe software or hardware monitoring to view the cpu temp.

If you get crashes during burn wizard test then up your vcore a bit more but if your temp is looking a bit high bring your clock speep down. I like you have my system as low as posible 40c - 48c is fine and at max mine can be 51c.

Note: You may during the overclocking process have to reset your CMOS as clocking can lock your pc up. Also check your memory can be the same FSB speed as your CPU fsb. On my motherboard if I put my FSB up it also takes the memory up be aware of this.

Back