• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Didn't see an MCSE thread, so here is my question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikes95XLT

Here at school I'm doing an independant study on MCSE. I'm not doing the entire thing cause that would take me awhile, but the particular test I'm looking to take in the fall is the exam 70-270: Installing, configuring, and administering MS WinXP. I was curious if anyone else has taken this exam and can recommend the best book for me to buy?

Also, the track I'm looking to follow is the MCSE on Windows Server 2003 with a security specialization. Has anyone else done MCSE on Server 2003 at all? How difficult do you think it would be for me if I studied on my own and didn't take any classes?

Thanks for any info you guys can give me. :)

Most MCSEs that I know say take the 70-290 (Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 environment) BEFORE you take the 70-270 (XP) because the XP test is a lot harder. I have the MSPress 2003 Core-kit. So far I've only gone through a couple chapters in the 70-290, but it seems to be a nice setup. It cost me $130.

I have the full certs for nt 4.0 and 2000. My sincere advice. Dont. Seriously, when 8 year old kids in india are getting them its time to get something else. I would suggest network+, or ccna.

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Betterlife: What comes with the MSPress core kit that you mentioned? What test is it for? Server 2003?

Corrosion: I already have my Network+ and A+, and am working on CCNA for the fall semester. So that will be taken care of. This I'm just doing for an independant study for credit.

So what I'm seeing here is that maybe I should take the WinServer2003 test first before the XP one?

I have the A+ & Network+ as well :).

The MSPress has books 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294. Better yet, let me just give you the link:

http://www.quantumbooks.com/Merchan...de=&Search=MCSE+core&Search_Type=AND&Offset=0

Oh, and corrosion231... MCSE = job potential. Everywhere you look people want an MCSE for network administrator.

CCNA is wonderful to have... I'm not sure when I am going to start studying for that. I will be taking the 70-290 within the next couple of months though. I'll prolly go ahead and do all the 2003 cores, then XP, then a design exam... which will have me my MCSE.

betterlife18 said:
I have the A+ & Network+ as well :).

The MSPress has books 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294. Better yet, let me just give you the link:

http://www.quantumbooks.com/Merchan...de=&Search=MCSE+core&Search_Type=AND&Offset=0

Oh, and corrosion231... MCSE = job potential. Everywhere you look people want an MCSE for network administrator.

CCNA is wonderful to have... I'm not sure when I am going to start studying for that. I will be taking the 70-290 within the next couple of months though. I'll prolly go ahead and do all the 2003 cores, then XP, then a design exam... which will have me my MCSE.

Ive had my nt 4.0 mcse since 1997, and the win2000 one since 2001. I also have a ccna and security+ and Network+. my job could give a flying **** about any of the microsoft ****. They saw the ccna and the + one's and went ape**** over me.

I make $213,000 a year just from the ccna and having a BA. Every employeer Ive had and every one Ive talked to said that mcse means jack **** to them. We have guys making 190,000 a year with nothing at all, they just know how to do what we need them to do. We have guys with mcse's that wont make it out of our call center and will never make more than $15.00 an hour with us. They went to a class and read a couple of books and think they are network admins, when guys like myself and my collegues have been doing this **** since ethernet was invented and have 15-20 years experience each, and have actually worked in situations where having an mcse wont help you. Both mcse's I have were paid for by work, at the suggestion of our now fired retarded head admin who thought that mcse's were the end all be all of the world. All im trying to say is, dont count on that mcse getting you far in the it field.

While you have a very good point, corrosion, it doesn't ever hurt to have all that extra pretty going on with your resumé. It's true, MCSE will not help you when your network goes down because of a count to infinity problem, but it will help you out when you need to set up domains and group policies for 2,000 users.

Yes, I'm MCSE and CCNA ;)

betterlife18 said:
Who the hell is your employer? And how the hell do you make that much with a CCNA and some CompTIA crap???

its called having 15 years experience, including 10 in the army building military networks that cant go down. And I work for Mastec

www.mastec.com We are the 5th largest specialy contractor in the world. i would say a good 25-30% of infrastructure is installed by us.

Thanks for the replies guys. I realize MCSE is not the end all be all. I will be CCNA by Thanksgiving, and also plan on having Security+ hopefully by next summer. The reasons behind me going for a possible MCSE is that next semester I am doing an independant study on computers, and I need to study something. MCSE seemed like something that would be nice to have on a resume, along with my CCNA, Network+, and A+.

Also, my aunt runs a hospital infrastructure and she requires everyone who works for her to be MCSE, and if I do an internship out there next summer and then get hired, I will need to be MCSE, so I figured why not start working on that now.

I also hope to one day go for CCNP also.

What good books would you guys recommend? I hear Sybex books are good, but Betterlife also mentioned MSPress books.... thoughts?

I found this book recently that I hear has been great... has anyone read it or heard of it?? Sorry to be asking so many questions, but I'm really a newb at this. Thanks.

Here is the book

Ive been using Sybex books to study for MCSE and they are really good books. never been a big fan of microPress though. just cause microsoft doesnt tend to make stuff deisgned to pass thier tests, rather just give you general information about using the system. and no, havent touched that book myself.

Corrosion,

I think you are right about experience, but also having something other than an MCSE helps.

In my case, I had served in the Air Force building Satellite and fiber optic networks just like you, with the exception to Army.

MCSE looks good on resume, many employers know this. The hiring managers and dept. managers disagree with this.

Performance vs. certification comes into factor.

Most importantly, experience.

Nothing will get you anywhere, it all depends on how you use yoru new found or existing education.

If you don't use your MCSE and concepts related to it, you can not be expected to perform beyond what you want to.

I know people who have BA's, Masters Degrees as well as all the certifications who cannot think outside of the box. They are lazy.

Another person could be a natural genius without all these educational trophies.

Who knows?

Why can't everyone just learn what you can?

peace out.

BTW. Good Cisco Book: Todd Lamle CCNA.

Last edited:
Back