• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Java Class, Prepare me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

abitavenger

I'm taking a Java Programming class next year (my junior year in HS at Calvert Hall College High School www.calverthall.com) and was wondering what I should do to prepare. Are there any websites that give you a run-down or anything. I basically want to learn it before the class so I'm on top of things. Any help is appreciated Thanks

you might want to head to your local college bookstore and pick up a java textbook if you can find one. there are plenty of books available at barnes & noble, but a textbook will provide a good refernce as well as give you excersizes to work on if you really want to "learn" java before your class. i'd also recommend downloading eclipse from http://www.eclipse.org
it's probably more than you'll need for your class, but it's pretty user-friendly.

http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid=1100901977&meta_id=1

that book is the one my class uses. though it is a bit expensive.

If you want a physical book, Java in a nutshell by O'Reilly is a good one. I bought mine at Fry's, but any large computer oriented store would probably have it or another good one.
Good luck!

Thanks for all of the input. I've done the Java tutorial on the website of theirs. I think I'll just go out and buy a book. I bet they have Java for Dummies lol

One thing that is a must is to familiarize yourself with sun's website, and how they explain their api's. For java programmers, this is essentially a dictionary where you can find all the info you'll need for how a certain class or function(definately not a method. . hehe) works. If you have done object-orientated programming before, you should be able to understand it. If not, i suggest getting familiar with syntax, structure, and function calls before diving into sun's api docs. Their apis for 1.4.2 can be found here

yea, when i do my java homework i keep that page open in my browser, it's a necessity. you can also download it and keep it on you hdd if you don't have reliable internet access.

Back