• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

power supply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Entimann

Registered
what are some good psu's for overclocking an nf7-s v.2? i read that they need to have strong 12v and 3.3v rails.

PC Power and Cooling would be the best PSU brand followed by Antec. Don't be fooled by the "500 watt" generic psus being sold for a lot less money. Get at least a 350w or 400w psu for stability.

I's also recommend a Sparlkle or Fortron FSP530-GNA, an excellent 530 watt PSU. Only thing it doesn't have is dedicated SATA connectors.

Like the previous two I would recommend either a PC Power and Cooling, which is the best but most expensive, or an Antec or Fortron/Sparkle, which are still very good psus (I use the antec TP550 and love it). Though I think I would go for a Antec True Control 550 if I could do it again, the PC Power and Cooling are just too expensive.

I'd go with a Fortron if you're looking for bang for your buck. I have a 530w Fortron and it's a great PSU. I've heard good things about PC Power and Cooling, but they're not worth the extra $$$ to a lot of people.

I've got a Sparkle 400w PSU and wouldn't mind buying from them again. Although at 2.9vDimm, 2.0vCore, and 1.7 for the chipset, my 12 volt drops quite a bit. Everything else stays fine though. (At 2.0 Vcore, 2.8Vdimm, and 1.6 for the chipset everything was fine though.)

I thought my Sparkle FSP530-GNA might have a weak 12v rail, 'cause my mbm5 said that +12v drops to 11.86v at load- I checked my +12v at a PSU connector and the +12v output was +12.06- so it's not the PSU, it's the NF7S,. Mofset heatsinks helped, bringing it up to 11.92, which is OK in my book.

A nice thing about the Sparkle FSP530-GNA is that it has potentiometers inside, allowing you to iadjust your rails- I just haven't upped mine yet. The 1st thing I noticed after I rec'd the PSU from Newegg is that there was no seal across the PSU enclosure seams, meaning that you can open the PSU without voiding the warrantee.

yehaa....

how many watts do i need. in addition to what i have i am going to add 3 fans, another harddrive and a dvd writer. the reason i want a new psu is because i can't overclock my processor as much as i'd like because the voltages are unstable. right now i have a 350w raidmax (it came with my case). i've overclocked to 190x11 (2.1GHz). I want to overclock as much as possible and have it running stable.

nf7-s revision 2
athlon xp 2500+ barton
ati radeon 9700pro
Buffalo Technologies 2x256mb ddr400 pc3200 dual channel
msi combo cd-rw/dvd-rom
maxtor 160gb 7200rpm
120mm antec fan

The Sparkle is 530 watts, and $79.00 shipped from Newegg -

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-489&depa=0

My opinion on PSU's is twofold-

1) More power capability, more future upgradability.

2) If you PSU has a higher power rating (watts), it won't work as hard as a PSU that JUST meets your current system needs, thus it should last longer.

This unit does not have dedicated SATA power connectors so if you plan on going that route, you might look at some other PSUs, Antec, PC Power & Cooling, and Fortron / Sparkle for one that does.

Also, check out the stickies in the Case & Power Supply Section for info on PSUs.

http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=42

is it possible to use two power supplies with a few of the lines running parallel or would the psu's ground out? ive got a spare AT psu that is 450 watts. it is actually an ATX/AT, it just doesnt have an ATX connector anymore...

any way i could frankenstien a few parts together to get stronger lines without coughing up 80 bucks? i too have hit a wall where i cannot up volts on ram and cpu at the same time...

I must say I'm really happy with my Sparkle 350w (120mm version) it's great voltages are awesom (I have the same exp. as some of us did, when you check the 12v rail with mbm5 it shows 11.8-11.85 but my trusty multimeter reads 12.05-12.1 at load!)

It's a great psu, it's almost silent can't hear it over my Enermax 120mm (using 7volts!).

IMO Get yourself a Sparkle/Forton, it has the best Quality-Performance/Money Ratio.

Suma.

Back