• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bigger is better

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeViL_909

Ok guys, I have always used 1/2 fittings and hoses in my systems. I was wondering what would happen if you used adapters to run bigger hose in the case. Would it be worth it if it was done in some of the spots, but not all?

Yeah, it would be worth it. Flowrate doesn't "see" the smallest part of the system as some people may claim. Restriction is a result of adding together all the restrictions in the system, so taking out some of the more restrictive points will always improve flowrate. Might not always improve your results noticably, but should always help in theory.

The best spot to employ larger hoses and fittings is right before the pump inlet. Less restriction there makes life easier for the pump, decreases chances of cavitation, and improves the pump's efficiency. I personally run 1" ID to the inlet of my pump, and I try to use 5/8" ID wherever I can.

Stupid question, but how do you mod a pump to take 1" instead of 1/2"? I am also running 1" to my res that I am making. Should help out a little

The Mag 3 has a female 1/2" NPT threaded inlet. It kinda extends out from the body of the pump. So instead of using a barb to attach the tubes, I just stretched tubing over the outside of the inlet. What pump are you using?

Restriction is a result of adding together all the restrictions in the system

Well that is true to a point. A 1/2 inch hole can only allow so much water through at a time. Having one such smaller restriction will effectively cap your flowrate and each additional will reduce further. Pumps with stronger head will help resist but in the end a hole is a hole, only so much can fit in it at once.

Right now i have a Hydro L30. I am currently making a custom lexon case and with an interesting design. I was thinking of using 2 l30 pumps spaced out in order to help with restriction and add 1" tubing where posible. I need to find a way to get more 1" in there

dont plan on doing any "turns" with the 1". i use some 3/4" (res to pumps) and it is a pain to bend, 1" will be darn near impossible i bet. the 5/8" (most of my tube) isnt much harder than using 1/2".

GOOD LUCK!

Back