• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Everbodys MSI boards run Hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr_Obvious

I have two MSI boards, A 6373 N420, and a 8367 km266 combo L
One has a Nvidia chipset the other is VIA, they both will run the same cpu/hsf and ram and run at 50°c idle 58 to 59°c load. I can pull the cpu and hsf and install it in my asus, or my asrock, and it will idle at 36°c and load no more then 43 and 44°c. I have 5 case fans in both the MSI setups, and only 2 for the Asus and ASrock. Is it because the sockets on the MSI's are north south, and the hsf's fins are front to back, and being that heat rises, their holding the heat in, in that direction, or is it something in the bios? BTW, this is at stock speeds 133 x 13.5, When I clock em up, it goes thru the roof. Oh yeah, I'm using AS-5, and the heat sinks are lapped.

the chip direction shouldn't make any difference as the HSF will force the air through anyway. Those are high temps, my 6590 runs at 27idle, 38load. I'm sure you already have but check the way air flows through your cases, lots of fans doesn't always mena good well placed flow

Yeah, its getting good airflow towards the cpu, If I keep the rear and side exhaust fans at low speed, thy run a little cooler, Also on the KM2M, it has a program called XP cooler, which will cool it down to 39°c idle and 48°c loaded. seems like a spoof to me, like it just alters the reading because the temp will drop 10° in about 2 seconds after turning it on.

my 2 cent thoughts

I also think MSI mobos got serious probs with heat. All the MSI mobos I purchased are giving high temps and when i tried them in the gigabyte mobos they are ok. My 2400 processor is around 37C 45C in the gigabyte and the same processor in the MSI K7n2 delta ILSR mobo starting from 48C and going upto 55C in normal operation and don't wanna let know abt the game situvations anyway:( So I think those mobos got a problem. I even tried the latest bios updates for the mobos but no help in there.

Are you using independent probes or the sensors built into the motherboards.
I suppose the question is not necessarily do MSI motherboards run hot but rather, do MSI BIOS's and onboard sensors accurately report temperatures.
In the time I've had an MSI nforce2 board different BIOS' have yielded ranges varying over 20C. (loads between 40 and 60 with the same set-up).
I don't think they run hot just that the MSI folks don't have a clue how to calibrate their sensors.

If you're using independent temperature probes that yield differences between boards that's another thing. I've never done that though.

My CPU is idling at 38C right now.

I do have independent probes on my fan controler/ readout, but I'm scared to use the one for the cpu, I had it move while installing the hsf, and short out the cpu and kill it. I think it jumpered all the L11's, or at least a couple of them. I'm thinking about clamping one of my hsf's up in mill, and boring a 0.187 hole in from the side, so i end up with about 0.062 above the bottom, directly over the die, and then inserting the probe in the hole and sealing it off. I believe you may be correct on the sensors not being calibrated correctly. Even at the high temps shown, ther is no instability.

My K7N2 Delta-L runs hot as well

Both of my K7N2 Delta-L boards report high temperatures. The one with a XP3000 runs at about 46C/56C and the one with a XP2500 runs at about 42C/52C. The 2500 is in a case with better cooling (for now, going to fix the other case up soon). I've got a little temperature probe from Radio Shack that I'm going to stick in the system somewhere to see how accurate these readings are.

I've also wanted to ask the same question because my case temp reads about 10c higher with my Delta -L that my previous board.

Time to buy a probe I guess and check it out.

I would love to hear what difference in temp other's get.

ALSO does anyone else have there CPU temp jump around?

Mine will go from 38-43 back and forth. It just seems odd.

EagleClaw said:
ALSO does anyone else have there CPU temp jump around?

Mine will go from 38-43 back and forth. It just seems odd.

Yeah mine jumps around too, for a long while using Motherboard Monitor I would look at the high temperature in the high - low window and wonder. But that high temperature appeared to be more of an aberration, when looking at the graph generated by Speedfan you could see these spikes but the actual load temperature mean seemed a bit more reasonable (i.e. my steady load temperature will be around 48c, but there's a lot of hitting 53.)
I can't say I know the physics behind this but I just don't think its possible for temperatures to change in a metal that quickly up and down. Going up 5 degrees and staying there yes, but going up, then down, then up, then down, 5 degrees all within 20 seconds seems physically impossible. Bad sensor software or design I think.

I just updated to the newest bios 5.7 as someone said it may correct that problem but it does not.

A friend of mine has a sensor (also the same board) and he has complained about the high temps so he will be checking at leased the internal temps.

The only thing I can think of is either the temps are reading at leased 5c high or this board generates allot of heat. but seeing I have run with my cover off and got pretty much the same temps I am thinking the sensor is just reading high.

I mean how can I go from a case temp of 21c to 33c with just a board change, theres no way....

would sure be nice to know for sure.

Update:

Friend of mine with the Delta-L has tested the internal temps with a probe and here is what he found.

Speed fan case temp reading: 37c

Probe reading: 26c

This is what he said it was with his previous motherboard.

I will get his temp probe and check mine also.

Just to make sure we are getting correct temps, where should the probe be? He had it in the middle of the case (he left it overnight before reading it)

If this is true why is it so far off and why havn't we heard about it before?

We have both been pulling our hair out trying to get our temps down with different fan's and configurations for air flow, they have probably been normal the whole time..sigh...

Just misclicked this forum as I have an Intel based MSI motherboard, but my temp (reported by bios / corecenter) are also in the high range (44 idle, 50 under load, and that's without overclocking it, 3.0 NW P4 with a 865PE Neo-2). I'll be interested to see what people see here, as logic would suggest that if their sensor are not calibrated properly on the AMD boards, they probably ain't calibrated either on the Intel boards.

Oh, and default temperature alarm on Corecenter (set by MSI) is 80C for a shut down, ain't that a little extreme?

One other small note... PC Wizard 2004 reports CPU temp in the 220C range. I would suspect it's another sign that MSI's temp is not exactly working as intended, or at least in a very unconventional way.

FWIW, my new case came with a temp sensor that you can place anywhere, I don't know where the ideal place to put it for comparison is but I just stuck it on the motherboard nearer to the front of the case than back towards the CPU.
Right now (and we're in the midst of a pretty decent heat weave here in California so its about 80+ degrees ambient in my apartment) the sensor reads 83F/28C, the lowest temp reading my K7N2-L has in speedfan (sensor 3) is 104F/40C, the CPU is idling at 46C (which considering how ridiculously frickin hot its been is OK)

I was happy that two days ago I had the chance to test my system out on what has been the hottest day it has endured. So at the hottest point of the day it was 93+F and I decided to play Pandora Tomorrow for a couple of hours. Ended up with the CPU running at load at 55C, and it survived without a problem.

So whatever the issue may be with MSI boards, it can let me run my 2500 @ ~3200 speeds and I'm not having any problems.

My motherboard sure dosent read hot. I have a kt3 ultra 2 and the max temps I see are lik 39 at full load mobile 2600@2505. Its weird I even have a old crusty volcano 7. It is relatively cold in my room but this dosent run much warmer than my old 1700+.

TsiAwd said:
My motherboard sure dosent read hot. I have a kt3 ultra 2 and the max temps I see are lik 39 at full load mobile 2600@2505. Its weird I even have a old crusty volcano 7. It is relatively cold in my room but this dosent run much warmer than my old 1700+.

Hi all. I have a k7n2 delta running stock settings/idle @ 57*C.(cpu) and my ABIT AN7, running stock settings cpu is @ 47, with system @ 38 C. Hadn't compared the two till now, will have to check it though, 57 seems way out there. :eek:

I am running a K8N Neo2 plat and my temps seem high. I am using the stock CoreCenter program to get temps and just at idle it's at 34, does that seem high ? With the case that i am using trust me it has more then enought room and cooling. Its at stock settings for everything !

The way I understand it, each MOBO MFG has their own way of calculating die temps to compensate for air flow around the socket. The die temp is actually reported from a sensor in or under the socket and then the program adjusts the reading for the bias the MFG believes to be correct.

My old xp 3200 reported 38-50c air cooled in an a7n8x, I changed to an a7n8x deluxe and now it reports 40-60c, and I am sure it is not an installation issue.

My current rig, see sig, reports 50c all the time, this really bothered me at first because of the cooling set up I have, so I took an Fluke thermo coupler and inserted it between the cpu and the water block (not a good place for performance, this was just a test, the meter read was 28c with an amient of 22c, which I believe is much closer to realistic as my cooling setup could cool a small engine :attn:

HOT on the MSI and Asus is the power mosfets which if you OC I recommend you epoxy (not tape) a heat sink on them. I made em glow on an a8v which is why I have an MSI now :beer:

My board always reads hot when I first turn it on. I shut it down at night because it's mainly for gaming and I don't need it on when I'm asleep. When I first fire it up after being off for 8 hours or so, my cpu temp idles at 47C, system temp 29C. After it's been on for a few hours gaming, surfing, I restart it and and my cpu idle is 39C, system temp 32C. Wacky temps, I don't know does the artic silver on my heatsink need to warm up before it becomes productive? I installed my new heatsink a few days ago and have ran prime and cpu burn but I shut it down at night. Is this the wrong thing to do?

Well, same thing today, fired it up this morning, cpu idle was about 48C on average all day. Now I just restarted and my cpu idle has been 39C for about an hour. Anyone else have this problem? I'm using the 1.4 Bios, would a change fix this?

Back