• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to mount old HS on NB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JerMe

I know lots of you have put old cut up heatsinks on your northbridge. How are you keeping them on there? I don't want to epoxy, I may watercool it in the future.

I bought a Vantac Icerberq 4, but the whine is irritating. Suggestions?

I used tie staps to hold mine on- Feed a tie strap through the hole in the mobo (from the back), then through the hole you made in the heatsink, then put another tie strap (the lock) over the first tie stap and snug it down. Tighten them each a little at a time so that the heatsink sits down on the NB evenly.

Whoppa!

If you mix epoxy with thermal paste, it will dilute it so it can still be removed or a small dab of superglue in the corners can do it.

I quite like the zip tie way though.

TDF.

Zip tie is good. I just removed a NB heatsink that I had epoxied with a 1/2 and 1/2 mix of Alumina Epoxy and straight Alumina - it came off very easily after 30 minutes in the freezer.

Zip ties sound good. Hopefully the piece of slot A heatsink I chopped up is big enough to cover the NB. ;) I didn't want to go and buy epoxy for the 50/50 mix.. if I can't get the zip ties to work with the old block, then I'll go that route. Thanks guys!

Yeah, that's probably the best option, but it takes a bit of work. Gotta drill a couple holes in the base of the HSF and find yourself some mounting hardware. Hardly impossible - just depends on how much time you want to take.

i would say that bolt on is the most secure. Its a good method, i have used it to attatch a stock AMD HSF to a 5200 with decent results for an OC. I will do it to my 9500Pro soon. One note - make sure you dont accidentally drill the hole on a non flat part of the HS (eg - the part that is raised for the ZIF socket hinge) This leads to mounting dificulties because if you tighten one side too tight it will warp the card. I made this mistake on the 5200 and its not a big deal but an annoyance.

Back