• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you have played FarCry...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Is it the most fun you've ever had in a single player campaign game?

• Yes.

Votes: 95 39.7%
  • No.

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • I think theres a Trigen in my closet... And what's that grumbling under my bed?

Votes: 53 22.2%

• Total voters

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Just finished this one... and I don't know what to say about it to do it justice. By far, the most fun I've ever had playing a single player campaign. Perhaps not the best game ever, as it doesn't do anything really new or groundbreaking, but I'd say it just does everything better than whats come before it.

If you answer yes, explain what you liked best.

If you answer no, explain what made you unsatisfied.

If you choose the third answer, you aren't alone.

Last edited:
yeah it was good, dam good, fun...

still the storyline ..... and the monsters... I mean the hugh ones are sooooo hard.....

HL was better and so is MGS.

If you mean the storyline was lame, I would agree, but aren't they always? I thought they did a good job of giving just enough to show you where the game was going, but not focusing on it too much.

If anyone reading this needs help - Hard time with large trigens? They have armored breast plates so you have to shoot around those, and it helps if you get position on them where they can't blast you with rockets, obviously. For an easy kill, three sniper bullets in the melon. If the sniper rifle isn't an option, use any assault rifle, but make sure you shoot somewhat accurately - simply blazing away will make 75% of your bullets bounce off. Head shots, when timed right and hit frequently enough will paralyze them while they are being shot. If you can get in close enough to hit them with consistent head/neck shots they aren't too bad.

I am only a little bit past the training level (haven't even reached the first checkpoint on the shipwreck)... this game is good. No, it's really good.

The gameplay is great - it has a very nice quake feel with it... you can jump, crouch, grab life and ammo and weapons off the ground or a shelf. It has a BF1942 feel to it where you can hop in a vehicle and go... you can also choose how you play - either crawling around the whole map, or pulling off a shoot everything you see attitude - both work pending how good you are.

The graphics I think everyone has seen are truely amazing. The islands are absolutely beautiful, when you go to the jungle you actual feel like you are cramped around lucious plants and birds... truely a unique feeling I've never seen a game do. I thought my video card would be a major bog down for this game, considering the fact I barely scored 2000 points in 3dmark03... however it's not! It runs great, settings are on low, AA is high, and it looks absolutely amazing!

There are very few hard games that keep my attention... I don't like hard games. I hate trying to do the same thing (run into a group of 20 enemies and try to kill them all for 6 hours... who can do that?) over and over again... but this game. With this game you can take a different tactical method each time, allowing you to trial and error which works best. I absolutely love it maybe because the realism is so great... which brings me to the next part:

The AI is absoluely awesome to work with. They aren't smart enough to come charging after you if they see you a mile way. And they aren't dumb enough where you can sneek behind them and they won't hear you. They are smart enough to call for backups (and damn do they come quick). I learned something real quick: if you are trying to get past a part... and 3 guys are there - make sure none of them make communication or a back-up call. Kill them before they do, and you are good to go.

This game really makes me happy, and I fell like it was the best $40 I've spent in a WHILE. The realism, the graphics, and the AI makes this game tactically challenging... not impossible. Highly recommend it to those who have at least the recommended system requirements.

*EDIT* - sorry, didn't realize how long my reply was... another boring day in computer class. :D

I'm not finished with it yet, but my comments basically mirror that of masitti...

It reminds me of the 3M/BASF commercial from six months ago: Farcry didn't make the genre, Farcry made the genre better :) It doesn't necessarily bring anything brand new to the gaming scene, HUGE levels have been done with GTA3 and BF1942 and others. Vehicles have been in many games, the guns are nothing uber-fancy. Binoculars, heat vision, and the art of being sneaky are nothing new either. Enemy AI has been around since Wolfenstien ;)

But every single one of these normal features has been significantly improved upon. Vast and densely-detailed landscapes, vehicles that are easy to use and fun to drive, guns that are cool to use with the secondary firing modes, and sneakiness that's assisted by foliage, heat sensing goggles and a motion tracker.

I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a single player campaign FPS as much as I have Far Cry. Asthetically, no current game even comes close. I love the details, for instance zoom in on the various magazines laying around in the bunkers or check out what the mercs are having for dinner (like fettuccine with marinara).

I have not yet finished the game, but I have played through a substantial number of levels (just acquired the OICW ADVANCED ASSAULT RIFLE, killer weapon). The immense size and scale of the levels is incredible. I could go on and on. And I really have no complaints other than the lack of quicksaves, which should be addressed shortly.

Masitti, have you tried lowering the resolution to 1024x768 and dropping AA down, while cranking up the detail settings. I'm running with no AA and haven't noticed extreme jaggies or the like. The added detail complexity is completely worth it IMO.

Last edited:
with a 9800 pro that game should run smooth as butter with all details set to max and aa set most of the way up.

the poster that had fps problems just needs to drop his in game resolution down and it will run fine this isn't a normal game where you can crank the res and and detail settings because the graphics are so-so. this game's graphics are simply to intense and if you want detail you need a lower res

Mustanley said:
Masitti, have you tried lowering the resolution to 1024x768 and dropping AA down, while cranking up the detail settings. I'm running with no AA and haven't noticed extreme jaggies or the like. The added detail complexity is completely worth it IMO.

Right on, I agree. I kept settings at very high except when Val was in the mission with me, I had to drop to medium for good framerates for those couple missions. The difference between medium and very high IS HUGE! At medium settings, I got no ground foilage or cover - the ground is just a grass texture with trees here and there, instead of the thick undergrowth that gives it that "warm jungley feeling". :)

I would play at 800x600x32 in this game if it would get me higher detail settings at decent framerates - the higher detail settings really give it that extra touch that make things seem real IMO.

I usually run with heavy AA/AF, but nearly turned them off completely to make the higher detail run as smooth as possible.

I voted funnest game and didn't give a reason, but its pretty much what everyone has been saying.

AND the game is $10 cheaper then most new releases.

You can't go wrong with this one.

There have been times that the hair raised on my arms and my heart beat went up a few ticks because of those ^#%$#%$ Trigens. :D

Im not done yet (playing on Realistic DIfficulty) but I have seen the end. I don't expect much storywise from fps games, not that they cant have good stories, just nothing that I havent heard before. The playing experience is great though, best I have played in a LONG time.

I have a 9800 pro...my system hiccups alot if I run high details, probably need more ram.

The game is awesome, I haven't finished it yet but it amazes me how much of it I have played (I usually stick to multiplayer).

I also usually don't get startled by video games but I did once or twice so far, keeps you on your toes :D

Has anyone figured out the difference between render modes - default, improved, and paradise? They all look exactly the same to me!

bottoneatrpi said:
I have a 9800 pro...my system hiccups alot if I run high details, probably need more ram.

The game is awesome, I haven't finished it yet but it amazes me how much of it I have played (I usually stick to multiplayer).

I also usually don't get startled by video games but I did once or twice so far, keeps you on your toes :D

Definetly try more ram... The difference from 512 to 1 gig with this game was REAL BIG for me - I also increased the AGP aperture to 256 from 128 when I added the extra 512, so that may have played into my better results also... The game requirements suggest an aperature of atleast 64 MBs.

The AI really gives it a multiplayer feel I thought; it's the closest thing I have seen to the real thing atleast. The enemies are pretty good about sneaking, dodging, and going for cover at the right times... Especially as you up the difficulty.

acctually it is the best PC game I think after HL.

But MGS on PS1 or the MGS Twin Snakes on GameCube do it more for me. So intense and the storyline is amazing. just like watching a great movie... I do really like games with a great storyline which grips you.

Oh FarCry used 412MB or ram on my system.... I tried changing to lower resolutions and with medium and Extra High graphics settings but it stays at 412MB ram... so 512Mb or ram is minimum for this game

Mustanley said:

Well I turned AA off, and the whole game crawled... estimated 10 FPS. I found that running the game on high AA it is much more smoother. I will perhaps try Medium AA and medium/high details and see how that works. Thanks for the tip !!

IMOG said:
Has anyone figured out the difference between render modes - default, improved, and paradise? They all look exactly the same to me!

Definetly try more ram... The difference from 512 to 1 gig with this game was REAL BIG for me - I also increased the AGP aperture to 256 from 128 when I added the extra 512, so that may have played into my better results also... The game requirements suggest an aperature of atleast 64 MBs.

The AI really gives it a multiplayer feel I thought; it's the closest thing I have seen to the real thing atleast. The enemies are pretty good about sneaking, dodging, and going for cover at the right times... Especially as you up the difficulty.

A WD Raptor really helps too for the load times. That initial load is a BIG one;)

masitti said:

Well I turned AA off, and the whole game crawled... estimated 10 FPS. I found that running the game on high AA it is much more smoother. I will perhaps try Medium AA and medium/high details and see how that works. Thanks for the tip !!

You can view your framerate by typing the following at the console (~).

"\r_displayinfo 1" (press TAB for \ and of course ignore the quotes)

farcry single player is pretty good, however i agree with the other poster that MGS1 and MGS2 and other console games are much much better

Back