• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H20 Cooled HD's?? is there such a thing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joshiieeii

I am putting a system together, water cooling the CPU with a Maze 2 from dangerden, using their water cooling cube, and a Rio 800 pump. I am leaving room for a .water powered HD cooler(Striping supposedly gets them pretty hot). Does anyone know of a water cooled HD heatsink?? (preferably in Copper?? The rest of the system is copper) I have seen a site that had one but it was not copper and I have lost the url

Why? This would add to the coolant temp and increase your CPU temp. I keep four 7200 RPM drives and one 5400 RPM drive cool with one 51 CFM 92 mm fan in a blowhole, on the right side of my case focused on the hard drive cage.

Yea thats over doing it, try either harddrive coolers or like josh said just throw a fan on the side of it. Im thinking of hanging a 120mm fan from the rack and have it blowing on the back of the harddrives.

I'm just using the stock Intel P3 fan to cool my HDD (taped it there). But I think HDDs are pretty tolerant of high temps -look at the manufacturer specs. No need to stick heatsinks and the like on it.

On part of it that's vulnerable to heat is the circuitry at the bottom -that's why there's some kinda foam layer betweem the HDD PCB and the HDD casing itself. Last time a friend of mine had a HDD die early (only 1 yr old, *sob*) just because its PCB was facing the PSU! Stupid case design! Some coolers I've seen are to cool that PCB only so it makes more sense to mount a fan blowing at the bottom. Blowing on the top (bare metal) of the HDD is also OK and it'll cool the bottom part as well (indirectly).

Back