• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temp check

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

piraterocker7

what would be the average operating temperature of a p4 oced to 2.7ghz with an sp-94 with a sunon 92mm fan spinning at about 3500 rpm, i think mine are high because i idle at around 40 degrees c and load at around 55, which seems high to me, i think it may have to do something with having to much thermal paste (used the goop that came with the heatsink) cause when i put it on i didn't know how much to put (though i didn't put very much by my standards)

i might need more case fans cause right now all i have is a blowhole and one in my door directly in front of my hsf blowing in on it

what can i do to lower these temps (these aren't much of an improvement over the stock intel hsf and i spent 60 bucks on this combo)

thanks

-me

You definately need to get some more case fans. If you can't afford any now, just take the side off of your case and put a desk fan blowing in there. I can guarentee that you'll see major improvements Also, www.svc.com has Arctic Silver 5 (almost the best TIM out there) for only $6 shipped! It's the best deal out there. If you get AS5 be sure to follow the official instructions.

ditto on the AS5, I have a P4 1.8A oc'd to 2.4 with a Vantec Aeroflow and AS5- my load temp is 49C although idle is strangely 45C, kinda weird. If you want some serious air flow, I'd suggest getting a few Tornados, although you'll probably want to get a fan controller with them cuz there a little loud ;)

ok, i'll try the desk fan for now and i'll look in to getting some as5, how many fans would you suggest and where should i put them, i have room for 2 in the front and 2 in the back (all 80mm positions), also can you suggest some quiet ones because the two installed that came with the case are horribly loud (should i get a fans controller)

thanks

-me

Ditto on the Panaflos. I love mine! Also try to remove the fan grilles (the holes stamped out of the case where the fans go). It reduces the noise and drasticly increases airflow.

As for where to put the fans, the best is to have ones in the front of the case taking fresh air in and having the ones in the back exhaust. If you have an opening in your side panel for fans then that should be intaking. Blowholes should blow air out.

i think i could probably mod the front of the case to hold an 120mm fan, would that be a better idea than installing two 80mm?

also, how much do dremels run (pricewise) i need to pick one up.

-me

i tried the fan outside the door and it improved temps 2-3 degrees, but i think i just need to redo the goo, get some as5 and then redo it again , and finally get some more case fans

-me

am i right?

Back