• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

homemade metal reservoir?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noxipoo

Is it possible to weld a homemade metal reservoir together? Has anyone here done it? type of metal you used? Only metal sheeting i see from homedepot is galvinized metal sheets, don't think that will work.

I asked because i figure a metal one thats been welded together can't leak, unless I put acid in it or something.

If you plan to use copper waterblocks, you must use a copper radiator.
I can't stress this enough.

Look for the "african queen" article. They build a res out of copper.

What fyberwire is saying is that it is best to not mix metals... using components with different metals can lead to MUCH faster and nastier corrosion. Using additives like antifreeze with corrosion inhibitors help a lot though, so I wouldn't say it is absolutely necessary to not mix metals. It is definetly wise to avoid it though.

I think welding is a little over the top given the problem you have in mind. Building a plastic resevoir is much simpler, and done correctly with proper sealing leaks shouldn't be a problem.

You need to leak test any cooling loop before you install it... So any problems should be caught before they become problems.

Stainless steel should not conflict with other metels.I am only guessing but it seams logical to me . Even sink drains combine stainless copper bras ect...

I have been wanting to do this for a while, considering aluminum and anodizing it because of brass and copper not being really cheap;)

but yeah, typically you dont want to mix metals. Also, if you try to weld galvonized steel you will find yourself sicker than you ever will, close to the point of death. its not fun stuff.

Jon

Where am I going to find some copper sheets? I thought of using metal because I've read threads where people had professionally made plastic reservoirs that still leaked after a year.

Plus I like playing with fire! seriously, metal would be fun, I just need to know where to buy afford copper sheeting

My favorite place to get copper from is my local scrap yard. We have a place here that just recycles metal and scrap and such. Think about where people go to drop off alu cans and such. I go there and dig through there bins and stuff. At a 1.20 a pound, it's not bad. Believe me, that is a lot of copper sheeting.

Good Luck!

I'd bought a roll of copper flashing (made for roofing) at Menard's, a large hardware store chain. The roll is a 20" x 20' and should just be stiff enough to make a res from.
The drawback is the roll that size costs $53, but you'll have plenty left for other projects.
You may be able to find narrow rolls at building supply places, like in 6" or 10" widths. Check around.

Mine was stiff enough to make drive cages out of for a caseless case I'd made, holding two CD's in one, and two harddrives in another.
There was one project on the front page where someone made a res from this same type sheeting, but doubled the thickness to make it even more stout like sheet steel.

Have fun!

Hey there are Menards here, i need to go find one and check it out. Although that price tag kind of hurts, maybe they have smaller sizes... I hope.

IF u get steel and weild it it will be a MAJOR chore to get it good enough to hold water. Do u know how to weild or solder?? if not u should get some practice b4 doing anything like this.

I actually think I will make an aluminum rez today or tomorow and possibly get it anodized, Did you do that tig welding? its great fun:)

Jon

That looks pretty sweet Slater.:) As for the whole mixed metals debate: Can't you just clear coat or seal the inside of the resevoir so that the water actually never comes in contact with the resevoir? There are tile and masonry sealants out there that last against water for years.

Im thinking of anodising i but i relly want to get using it so i dont think i will have time. Never the less it will get anodised eventualy because i want it green;)

also thought of something like reaper suggested by putting a plastic coat in the internals. I know i can get thinks like rad selent wich leaves a thin film of coating so maybe i will try that aswell.

Yeh i TIGed it at work. Its extreamley easy considering the fuss everyone makes about welding alu!

Il post some pics when its done

oh yeah, tig welding rocks, After you get the hang of it it is very easy, I started my little 3x3 cube rez today, I found some 3x3 sq tube and I welded a base onto it, Tomorow Im going to drill and tap the holes for barbs and weld the top on, either that or make brackets around it to put a plex top on it or something.

Jon

i'm going shopping for metal this weekend. someone in another thread said reservoirs are not good for flow, is that true? because the flow stops and has to restart from the res was the reason.

Yeh its pretty much true but its only a small differance. Nothing to worry about. IMO the benifits of a good res far outway the drawbacks:)

Hi. I used two metals in this reservoir. To avoid the corrosion, i put two... rubber seal? to avoid the contact of the water with aluminum and also, it seals the screws with silicone.

The reservoir is a simple modified valve of brass, with the necessary size... Can you see pics here

Back