• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 80's, 2 92's, or 1 120 on the side

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlackZ06

Registered
Which of those three choices would you guys say be the best for cooling. It's gonna be on a black wavemaster case and I plan to add a 92 blow hole on top. I would probably put the 120 over the cpu/heatsink and in the other cases one over the cpu and the other on the videocard. Fans would be most likely 2X 80 panaflo highs, 2X92 panaflo highs or mediums,
and the 120 probably a panaflo medium or the delta 108CFM at 41db. This probably is a stupid question but say I have two 35dba fans would they be louder combined than one say 45dba fan or does it combine somehow.

Also anyone know where they have a decent selection of 92 laser cut fan grills? Thanks for the help guys!

decibles dont work like the normal 2+2=4 math. your 2x35db fans should be louder than a 45db fan but when you combine the two 35db the noise leves are about equal to the 45db fan. at least if you were judging by ear only

The 120mm fan setup should give you the most air for less noise.:) Go 120mm in the roof too. Have you removed your cases fan grids yet?

1x 80mm, dont see what the fetish is with people and fans...

my temps are great and i use one chasis fan... lol

Stee said:
1x 80mm, dont see what the fetish is with people and fans...

my temps are great and i use one chasis fan... lol

doubtful..

great is subjective term

55C might be great to you...

Why not something adjustable? I added a couple 80mm's to my Coolermaster side and went with 2x80mm variable speed. I have hardly ever had to crank them up, maybe in summer when runnin some hard benchies, but thats about it. But it is nice knowing the power is there if you need it.

casesidein.JPG

mypc.jpg

I'm guessing you understand 10db's = double in sound volume. It doesn't seem to make much sense, but 2x 35db fans works out to either 37db's or 40db's (can't remember if it was +2 or +5 db's). You might think double the noise makers, double the volume, never really the case. Usually 2 slower fans push more volume together while making less noise than 1 faster fan. The problem is when they're not vibration-isolated - the harmonics (sound produced from devices vibrating in and out of unison in this sense of the word) of 2 vibrating fans are definately worse than 1. I don't understand why its so hard to find neoprene or even thin rubber sheets around here. :mad:

The DB scale seems messed up, but it makes measuring both whispers and jet engines on the same scale much easier.

theELVISCERATOR said:

doubtful..

great is subjective term

55C might be great to you...

41c idle with a volcano9 at 3000rpm

cpu at 200x10

i bet half the people who wank their cases up with a gazillion fans havent even tried a single one, ne ways like i give a ****, ive got great temps for how quiet my pc is, so hope you guys enjoy your barrage of fans. lol..

Stee said:

41c idle with a volcano9 at 3000rpm

cpu at 200x10

i bet half the people who wank their cases up with a gazillion fans havent even tried a single one, ne ways like i give a ****, ive got great temps for how quiet my pc is, so hope you guys enjoy your barrage of fans. lol..

Idle doesn't mean anything. Try running F@H on your system and see how high your temp go up.

It also depends on how much you overclock and what voltages you're using. Using the info you have given and comparing your CPU idle temp to other ppl's load temp is like comparing apple to orange.

right yea welcome to bull**** land where everyone tries to justify themself.

i dissagree completely with the idle doesnt mean anything, think about it, you just talked crap. my temps never get past 47c with the the system at high stress for about an hour.

and dont know what the **** the point in your post was, because its simply not true that you need all those fans, aslong as your moving amb cool temps into your case and they can exhaust correctly too you could run off just 1 fan...

they move plenty of air around cases.

Back