• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Other CPU tester besides prime

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dukemurmur

Prime has nvr run on my system EVER even stock when everything was new. So here is the deal i randomly reboot. most of the time when my hhd's get working yet i can swap files between them but when i go to install something it crashes or when i do a system search. i have all of the lattest drivers and bios it is new install of xp. The reason i ask this is becaus i can run cpu-burn and run the net with no crashes granted it is very slow but it is fine. When i higlighted text in word to change the font it crashe 3x on me when i was also dial-up aol and opping realone this has nvr happend b4 my oc wich is stable as i have said or b4 installing the a new coppiy of XP and yes i have SP1a

When prime wont work on a system for me I use CPU Stability Test 6. Do a google search to find it. That test complete system and tell you what caused the failure. Hope this helps.

Your computer cannot run prime stock? That's not good. Try running memtest and seeing if maybe faulty memory is a problem? That must be really annoying if you computer crashes all the time.

- Awperator

yeah u have no idea!! well it will run CPU Stability Test 5 just fine for over 2+hrs it went into sleep mod and when i looged back in my comp restarted should i try it agian with version 6? Where can i get mem test and do i have to run it from dos??

You can get memtest here. It comes on a bootable disk to help make sure it's not Windows or something, and truly a bad stick of RAM. You don't need to know anything about DOS to make it run, just stick in the CD (or floppy), and it should boot right up and begin testing.

JigPu

i know how to use dos i was just wondering. ok thnks for that i will dl and give that a try then i will test the cpu again. Is there any other tests that test say the HDD and the vid card and only those like prim and cpust does for the cpu and memtest for the mem?

Is there any other tests that test say the HDD and the vid card and only those like prim and cpust does for the cpu and memtest for the mem?

HDtach for hard drive, or ATTO (search the storage forums)
3dmark03 for video card

I would provide links, but I'm at work. Google (or the search button) is your friend!

folding only runs my cpu at 15-30% load and seems to not do much? i can run F@H 2x memtest86 cpu stability test 5 and cpu burn in for over 9 hrs just fine!! so why can't i prime? there is no errors on anythig in that 9 hrs either!!

@md0Cer said:
http://folding.stanford.edu

Definatly use Folding. And keep it loaded!

Anyways, with my AMD folding gromacs and SSE on, I know when my overclock/underclock is even slightly unstable with folding.

Folding@home is NOT a stability tester.

The purpose of a stability tester is to run PRACTICE calculations that test the accuracy and reliability of the CPU. FAH work units are the real thing and I for one would not be using medical research work to test an OCd CPUs reliability without first running it through these

TOAST - thermal stability
Looping 3Dmark01, coupla tests of 3dMark03 - tests everything
Leaving it crunching Prime overnight (highest priority) - hammers the FPU

@Dukemurmur:

Have you reinstalled Prime95? A corrupted download with wrong prime numbers could cause it to fail continuously. Redownload it and reinstall....

cpu burn is a very good stability tester, it loads the system very heavily. However, if you aren't prime stable, it may crash your system. I suggest you take a serious ook at your system if you can't run prime95 at stock. Run memtest86 to see if your ram is bad. Check you temps and volta. Do other programs crash? Is it windows related? If you install linux and run prime from there, does it still give errors?

ok i can run 2x memtest 86 cpuburnin cpu stability tester 5 and F@H for over 9+ hrs with no problems at all so why does prime give me a hassel? IF that ain't stable enough for prime to also run by itself then it has some major problems me thinks. And no it was i have DL it 3x to try to make sure that it wasent that could someone send me a link to a site that they know has a good one on it?

what how can it run it that much hotter? full load is full load, yes?? unless it is also using mmx or what not and so on.

Back