• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking to install gentoo...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Chambers

and i'm not 100% clear which version to download/where. on gentoo's site, i get a big list of mirrors, but those mirrors have hundreds of files on them :p

i want the newest/stable gentoo version - oh and not the LIVEcd version, this will (hopefully) be installed to the hard drive.

if anyone could assist in shedding some light on this for me, i'd be very greatful ;)

thank you both for the information. it appears i was confused with the whole liveCD thing. i thought it'd be like knoppix and only run from the CD!

It is the same really, only gentoo doesn't run X live off the CD and its harder to install.

Arkaine23 said:
It is the same really, only gentoo doesn't run X live off the CD and its harder to install.

but from the looks of it, you can't install different programs and whatnot on knoppix, because it only uses from the CD? its all very confusing for a new Linux-user such as myself, i've read a ton of FAQ's and i'm still a bit confused.

i want to basically be able to tweak out my desktop like i've seen so many cool screenshots look. also being able to browse the web and possibly play dvd's/music.. thats about it.. i'll still leave gaming to my XP box...

You can install Knoppix to a hard drive from the LiveCD. It then behaves like a Debian install, where you would use apt-get to install programs. The difference with Gentoo is portage. If you have a fast enough connection, Gentoo will download from portage the newest stable source for every package it installs and compile it for your machine. You use the LiveCD as a temporary Linux install to download the first packages required. Once you have Gentoo configured, you don't need the LiveCD anymore.

Ken

I screwed up my first intall of Gentoo, but I had fun working with the command line! I'm going to try it again when I get some time. Gentoo is so sweet with the emerge command.

penquissciguy said:
You can install Knoppix to a hard drive from the LiveCD. It then behaves like a Debian install, where you would use apt-get to install programs. The difference with Gentoo is portage. If you have a fast enough connection, Gentoo will download from portage the newest stable source for every package it installs and compile it for your machine. You use the LiveCD as a temporary Linux install to download the first packages required. Once you have Gentoo configured, you don't need the LiveCD anymore.

Ken

ah, thank you for the clear-cut definition, that makes things alittle more clear now.

eli said:
I screwed up my first intall of Gentoo, but I had fun working with the command line! I'm going to try it again when I get some time. Gentoo is so sweet with the emerge command.

Keep at it:D I kept making typos and stupid mistakes. I learned so much during my three times trying to install it before I got a working system :D Now they have this thing called Genkernel which is kind of like Knoppix in that it detects what hardware you are using for the most part. Which makes things a lot easier for the newbie. But I would suggest doing your own kernel soon after wards because it is not that hard and I especially learned a lot from doing that plus it really is not difficult .

eli said:

Emerge and portage are the main reasons all I run Gentoo on all my machines now. No more dated rpms and endless dependencies to track down!

Ken

well its going fairly well i'd say, with the help of that guide kendan posted, and the AWESOME help of cluster over IRC! thx again cluster!

Mr. Chambers said:
well its going fairly well i'd say, with the help of that guide kendan posted, and the AWESOME help of cluster over IRC! thx again cluster!

You got it working? I'm still working at it...

But I have learned alot. I kinda like using nano now instead of emacs or vi. My head hurts with how much i'm trying to stay on top of. :p

eli said:

You got it working? I'm still working at it...

But I have learned alot. I kinda like using nano now instead of emacs or vi. My head hurts with how much i'm trying to stay on top of. :p

thats a big fat negative. i keep getting errors trying to emerge kde or gnome... im taking a break, as my head too hurts...

Hey Mr. Chambers, Emerge the dependency by itself that is giving you problems. You should be able to get the name from the error. Stop By IRC and I will help.

He was having problems with giflib-4.0.1_rc3 (or something close to that).

I helped him copy the file from the packages CD into his distfiles and change emerge to use his files instead of try to download it.

It still failed.

Arkaine23 said:
He was having problems with giflib-4.0.1_rc3 (or something close to that).

I helped him copy the file from the packages CD into his distfiles and change emerge to use his files instead of try to download it.

It still failed.

gnome failed too...

Kendan said:
Has he tried to just:

emerge giflib-4.0.1_rc3

"problem in media-libs/giflib-4.0.1_rc3 dependencies."

"specific key requires an operator (media-libs/giflib-4.0.1_rc3) (try adding an '=')"

:(

Back