• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Too Hot???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechFly

I have an AthalonXP 3200+ not overclocked on a new motherboard. It is an Asus A7N8X-E Delux. I have a case fan in the front, and one in the back. They are the same (about 3000RPM). I also have a ThermalTake SilentBoost fan/sink (2500RPM). I am running at 51C under load, and 47-48 at idle. Is this normal? It seems a bit high to me.

First off Welcome to the Forum

ok you said you got two case fan , which way are they blowing , i take it back is exhaust and front is a intake

also do your temps drop with your sdie of the case off ? if so that will mean you will need more air flow

Front is blowing in, and the rear is blowing out. Side does not make a difference.

Thanks for the welcome.:)

did you cut your fan grills out? do you have arctic silver on the cpu? is the heat sink lapped? is there a lot of cable cluttering? All that and more can make allt he difference in the world.

I cut the grills out of the front. I have not done the back yet though. There is some paste between the CPU, and HS (Arctic Silver?). I have not lapped the sink. I just found that reference today. I didn't know it was something that could be done. Cables are ZipTied, and out of the way.

Is that temp high then? What should it be? I want to OC this processor, but I don't want to if I cannot keep it cool.

Thanks for all of the help guys.

Not much. Just enouph to cover the die without having it go everywhere when I put the heatsinc on it. I put on the stuff that came with the heatsinc.

What temp should this proc run at?

Given that your fan is running at 2500 RPM, 51C does not seem too far off the mark. As dead_man said, you should see a fair drop if you use AS5, but remember that it will take a while for the paste to "settle" before you will see optimum temps.

Read the "important reminder" section here:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Also, if you choose to overclock, ramp up the fan speed a bit. That should have a significant effect on your temps.

Thanks for all of the great info guys. The page about the AS5 told me a few things I did not know. I will find a new fan for it that runs a bit faster. The speed it is at is the max speed of it. I think I will pick up a bit of the AS5 too. Any suggestions as to what kind of fan?

I have a 80mm Thermal Take Smart Case Fan 2 and am very happy with it. It can be had for under $10 here . It comes with a small reo so you can turn it up to the loudest you can stand or let it control the fan speed itself with the thermal sensor.

lapping does a huge difference. on my brothers volcano 9, after lapping and some artic silver 5, he dropped his temps by 6 degrees.

Back