• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Air Cooling Solution for P4s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IceCoolJay

Registered
I'm looking to upgrade my stock hsf i have at the moment on my 2.8E prescott. While it's not doing a bad job considering it's cooling a prescott (58 C on full load) and it is overclocked (2.8E @ 3.5ghz), i think it needs to be swapped sooner rather then later.

Keep in mind, AIR cooling method is the only solution at the current time. If you have any suggestions POST POST POST

Thanks

ive got the Swiftech MCX478-V VFin with vantec tornado (@3500rpm) due to noise. i got a 3.06b oc'd 3.2 and it idles 28-32 and maxs at 42

Yeah, i was torn between an sp-94 and the swiftec. Dont know about the tornado, it cools the best, but sound is terrible. Is it true what they say? It sounds like a hair dryer? :)

You think i can get a decent 5-10 C off my max temps with either of those HS and a decent fan blowing over it?

I have an older Swiftech MCX478 too and have been very happy with it, Swiftech rocks.

What a lot of us with hyper speed fans have done is use a fan controller. For pushing an extreme overclock or if you are running a little warm after a 3 hour gamefest, you can crank up the RPM, or if you're just surfing the net you can slow it down to a tolerable level.

For quite cooling I'll put my vote in for the HT-101. With a quite fan on it, it cools very well. Its performance with a low RPM/dB fan is close to the SP-94 with a quite (low rpm/dB) fan. Whats also nice is you can strap a second fan on for a bit better performance and it shoots the exhaust air out of the case with out ducting. It won't perform like an SP-94 at high rpm/dB though.

Its a good option for a high end quite cooling though and like the other HSFs mentioned, it would be a good choice.

Heres what Anand said:

http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.html?i=21710

Here is a review with the MX462, SLK-900, SP-97 and the HT-101:

http://www.systemcooling.com/aerocool_ht101-03.html

Oh yeah, it can be used on Athlon processors too, which is nice.

I'm using a Vantec 7040 HSF combo with AS5. I suspect the fan on my heatsink is from YS Tech.

The Asus program V2.21.06 shows 25-27C idle. It hasn't been through stress tests yet but it seems stable to surf @3.430. No North bridge cooling yet!

Running CPU at 1.6v

Edit: I see your running a Prescott. Try upgrading to a better fan around 100 cfm rating; look for a small one.

Last edited:
I've got an Enermax 92mm adjustable w/ MCX4000, as5, on a 3.2c @ 3.680 Ghz. Idle 35°c, load 45°c.

I've also got another Enermax 92mm adjustable w/ MCX4000, as5, on a 3.0c @ 3.60 Ghz. Idle 35°c, load 45°c.

I had an SP-94 with a 92mm Thermaltake Smartfan which was a good compromise between the quiet Panaflo (but low cfm) and the unbearably noisy Tornado (but best cfm). The TT comes with fan control or thermal control.

I tried the 92mm smart fan on the CPU heatsink with my Prescott rig and found that my case ventilation was too good, so it ran at low RPM even when the CPU was getting too hot... because there was always cool air reaching at the fan.

IceCoolJay said:
Dont know about the tornado, it cools the best, but sound is terrible. Is it true what they say? It sounds like a hair dryer? :)

Yes. My computer case sounds as much like an airplane as anyone's, and I thought I could handle a Tornado going full bore no problem. No way. It was just too loud.

The Tornado isn't quite as loud as a 110V hair dryer, but it has that same high pitched whine and sound to it. And yeah, you can really hear it.

Back