• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DUAL PSU Questions....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diehrd

Senior SMP Gawd
I just set up a dual PSU in my new case i am modding.To test my stuff i put the system in the case for a dry run and hooked up all my fans,lights,opticle drives and 1 hard drive. However durring Power up the second PSU has a delay of about 1 second.

And It appears the delay killed the hard drive,no real loss BUT I wanted to run a few hard drives off the second psu and now I am scared.Can any one explain if this power delay fired that old drive ? The second PSU is an older style BUT NEW PSU that was powered on by a toggle type switch and lacks the green wire you see on the newer ATX supplies..

Also would powering a 9700 pro from the secondary with that slight delay FRY the video card ? Thanks

Hey nice Avatar!

I would not power any of the system componets with a second PSU. It should work, but I would only run lights, fans, and your pump off the second PSU.

Are you sure the HDD is dead?

Oh, and hurry up and finish so you can bring it to the lan.

Thanks for the ava comment ..He he he .. The old test 66 ATA is dead sniff sniff..Any way I am going to have to hit the for sale items i now have 4 power supplies lol...Have a 650 on a plane heading my way lol..

Well it is the delay that killed the drive,The second one delays by a second or less and if that did not happen I am sure the drive would have not fried like it was pluged into a running system LOL..

I will have 3 120mm fans on it,3 80mm fans,the MCP600 and 4 opticle drives on ut that are unaffected by the slight pause...

How do you have it set up? I've got a dual setup with drives and fans split between the two. I get no startup delay between the PSUs, and I'm using the Burning Issues method.

stool said:
How do you have it set up? I've got a dual setup with drives and fans split between the two. I get no startup delay between the PSUs, and I'm using the Burning Issues method.

My problem is the second supply,It is New but older ATX where a toggle switch turned it on so it has a pre set delay built in to it..Never fear I have a 650 watter on it's way..That will run with the 430 antec

Back