• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD and Intel to have the same PR ratings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
This was an April's fools joke:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15103
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20040401095926.html

AMD Athlon 64 560+: AMD Athlon 64 3400+
AMD Athlon 64 550+: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
AMD Athlon 64 540+: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
AMD Athlon 64 530+: AMD Athlon 64 2800+

Pentium 4 570: actual clock-speed 3.80GHz
Pentium 4 560: actual clock-speed 3.60GHz
Pentium 4 550: actual clock-speed 3.40GHz
Pentium 4 540: actual clock-speed 3.20GHz
Pentium 4 530: actual clock-speed 3.00GHz
Pentium 4 520: actual clock-speed 2.80GHz

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20040331173218.html

Last edited:
They should leave it will just confuse people to keep changing the rating like that.

I KNEW IT!! I like the idea. You cant make joe smarter, you cant kill joe, but you want him to buy the superior product. Slap a random number on it and say its good, and he will buy.

This has to be speculation on the grandest scale. First the report is speculating on what Intels rating will be in comparison to their frequencies which is then followed up by speculation that AMD will follow suit to try and match Intels speculated ratings!!!
The article also conveniently overlooks the FX range which already starts with a 5 and would therefore appear inferior to the EE which is speculated (again!!) to start with a 7 unless they suddenly decided to start the series with a 7!
Hmm what day is it again today?

They filed it on the 31st, not the 1st.

But you make a good point about the FX 51, 53 and 55. They would have to change that to a 71, 73, 75 to match...

However, if it is true, somebody at AMD marketing must have said something like the post above:
Yuriman said:
You cant make joe smarter, you cant kill joe, but you want him to buy the superior product. Slap a random number on it and say its good, and he will buy.

I think some article writers have to much time on their hands....
As for the screenshot from the french site where is shows the pr ratings on an AMD logoed screen - very convenient.....

Oh well, I hope this is all a joke, becuase the pr ratings and model number stuff is starting to get insane! However, I think everyone will get used to it. Remember when they first came out with the 1600+ and everyone was like "wtf?" Well, I guess this is the same thing. Oh well, it does not matter to me that much, I just buy whatever is cheap and overclocks well :D

(useless but funny ramble)

Hehe, my amd PR535 overclocks far beyond the intel PR560, although the intel PR590 remains faster, overclocked or not. Still, for the money, the amd PR535 is much better! It gets over a 10% number overclock, reaching nearly PR578! WOW.

Double PR ratings!! :0

That would get very very confusing for consumers. Would definately give Intel the edge with all of their marketing hype. Let's pray this is a joke.

Back