• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I got trolled on Ebay. HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Metallistar

Item: Link

Here is the deal. I win the auction and pay as normal and get an email from the seller stating that he shipped the package. All is fine up to this point. I come home the other day to find a demolished package on my door. I immediaely preyed it wasnt my CoolerMaster ATC-110-SX1 case... but to my horrer it was... The moron wrapped it in what appeared to be PAPER BAGS and sent it via USPS... of corse the bags were torn to shreds and even a little aluminum visible thew it... I opend the packaged to find the front door ripped off its hinges and scratched to all hell. The door also managed to scratch the rest of the front pannel up pretty good. The case had been dropped on its top right corner leaving a nice sized dent there and warping the whole case. Their is a gouge/dent on the right side pannel. Also vairous other scratches all around the case....

But thats not it... here is where it gets fishy. The auction states that "It is like new, and has never been built." But yet there is dust all over the inside of it. The 2 front 80 mm intake fans that are supposed to be there. The front grill was attached with the wrong screws striping out the holes. Its also a well known fact that all Cooler Master Cases come with thumb screws for everything Including the thumb screws for the PCI Slots/Mobo Trey/Side Pannels. This case came with only 4 thumb screws that werent even the ones that Cooler Master uses(they were all bent to hell by the way). Then to top it off the case has 7 PCI slot openings, the guy only sent 4 covers. I know for a fact that CoolerMaster sends 1 for every slot. Now, the best part is on the left side pannel on the inside he has marked measurements and lines for what appears to be the beginnings of a window mod that got no further then the pensil markings...

So I contacted him stating that the case arrived demolished and this is the response I got:

Hello,Thankfully, what I estimated for shipping and what it actually cost wasenough to allow for me to insure it. It was insured for $100.00. Here isthe insurance number : VB 464 985 706 US. Let me know if you need me tosend you the insurance slip.Jeanette

I find this a little suspisious seeing as I never did ask for insurance... (i know im never doing that again). So i emailed him again just asking for a refund of the money because I dont feel right filing an insurance claim on this because of how it was packaged and the circumstances and her is what his response was:

I will be glad to finish the insurance claim but I have no control over whatthey decides and I am no responsible for what you or the USPS does. The onlyreason you have any hope of getting any money back is because I insured thepackage, You did not even ask for that. I am very sorry this has happened but I can not control the actions ofthe USPS. I will file out the report so that the money is sent to you andthat is the best I can do.

What should i do? Im kind of at a loss... Please help

Last edited:
Best bet right now is at least get the insurance form from the seller so you don't take a complete loss. You should also take photos of the case as it arrived. Contact eBay about the fact that the item was not what was described in the ad, the damage that was done, etc. This definitely sounds as if the person is trying to dump a bum case and looking for insurance to cover it. There is the possibility that postal fraud could be involved here, too.

stool said:
Best bet right now is at least get the insurance form from the seller so you don't take a complete loss. You should also take photos of the case as it arrived. Contact eBay about the fact that the item was not what was described in the ad, the damage that was done, etc. This definitely sounds as if the person is trying to dump a bum case and looking for insurance to cover it. There is the possibility that postal fraud could be involved here, too.

Do all of what he said, Ebay will not care though, they will tell you to Leave Negative feedback.

LIke Stool mentioned, Take pics, save the original box and wrappings.

How did you pay this seller?

the seller listed the case as "like new" on ebay meaning it could be used. The seller really screwed the pooch by not asking for actual shipping but a set price. Most ebay sellers ask for a set amount for shipping when they get greedy and want to pocket a few extra dollars. I bet the reson they shiped via USPS is because UPS and FedEx would not accept the thing being wrapped in paper. It should have been shipped in a box, even if the seller had to make a box out of multiple other boxes.

The seller is clearly at fault.
You paid what the seller dictated to have the item shipped regardless of the actual shipping total.

Was insurance an option or ever brought up by yourself or the seller?

Was a choice of shipping ever brought up by yourself or the seller?

That packing job and passing of the buck on getting insurance out of it is cause alone for negative feedback. If you paid via paypal, immediatly file to get your funds back. That person shipped that thing in a totaly unacceptable manner.
What was the person thinking?

I paied via paypal

I was never given a chance to ask for shipping nor what shipping method.

I just assumed that anyone with any kind of common sence knows that something that valuable should be shipped in a box with packing material.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Is there a way that we could see pics of the case....
I would file pp claim and then they press heat on seller in 10 days :)

As you used Paypal, you can also file a claim with them.No need to accept rubbish or be expected to solve someone else's unwanted problem. Have all your evidence ready for Paypal. too.

Now that I saw the link theres a few things I will say.

Paypal will not care nor will Ebay. Paypal cares that an item is delivered unless you paid for the optional linited Paypal transaction warrantee.

The Case being "like new, and has never been built and some storage marks" could mean anything.

With that said its obvious the case was built as the dust in the PSU area is a dead giveaway.

I would negotiate with him for either a full refund or a partial refund and let him file an insurance claim. My opinion is the case probably may not have been damaged in shipment. The fingerprints all over the case appear to be from his toddler.

Try to negotiate and mention that neutral or negative will be left if a resolution cannot be worked out.

The downside to returning the case is that the costs will be out of your pocket and something you should consider.

Hah, i learned the hardway to never buy computer stuff from ebay. Bought a motherboard and tape drive both garenteed to work, got them setup, haha yea, did everything BUT work.

I've been buying(and selling) computer gear on eBay for years. Sometimes you just get bad sellers or buyers. Doesn't make the whole thing bad or not worthwhile.

I've bought a lot of computer hardware on ebay. One time I got a processor that sort of worked, but would hang constantly. I was never really sure if it was the processor or some compatibility issue with my motherboard.

Most of the time though, sellers with good feedback are honest. The feedback system really does work for the most part.

In general, I avoid buying stuff off ebay with high shipping costs (like cases) as it usually negates the savings, unless you get a really good deal on it.

couldnt you complain to ups or who ever deliverred it for damaging it in transit

USPS would probably say that it was more the shippers fault shipping it in paper bags :eek:
Anyways, good luck with getting your money back.

does it have a return address

drive down there wrap him in some bags and throw him down a cliff

LOL!!
exactly.gif

that was my first instinct too!!

been on ebay for years and have had my share of 'bum' deals... sorry to hear about this but this is typical crap I see on ebay these days...

thats why I only SELL on ebay, never buy. for an extra few bux just buy it new, save yourself the headache

Im not sure that that is actually insured. Im not sure if its universal, or it has something to do with the $$$ amount, but usually the packing must be subject to UPS inspection prior to issue of policy.

Actually, this constitutes mail fraud.

Whoever, having devised or intending to devise any scheme or artifice to defraud, or for obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises, or to sell, dispose of, loan, exchange, alter, give away, distribute, supply, or furnish or procure for unlawful use any counterfeit or spurious coin, obligation, security, or other article, or anything represented to be or intimated or held out to be such counterfeit or spurious article, for the purpose of executing such scheme or artifice or attempting so to do, places in any post office or authorized depository for mail matter, any matter or thing whatever to be sent or delivered by the Postal Service, or deposits or causes to be deposited any matter or thing whatever to be sent or delivered by any private or commercial interstate carrier, or takes or receives therefrom, any such matter or thing, or knowingly causes to be delivered by mail or such carrier according to the direction thereon, or at the place at which it is directed to be delivered by the person to whom it is addressed, any such matter or thing, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both. If the violation affects a financial institution, such person shall be fined not more than $1,000,000 or imprisoned not more than 30 years, or both

Here is a link to file a fraud complaint.

https://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/ fraud/MailFraudComplaint.htm

I wouldn't be suprised if the FBI or Secret Service contacts you to discuss the matter further.

I have a simple rule for ebay after I got ripped off $450 (almost). If they seller does not have a rating of 100% with 20 sales, then I will not purchase from them. I bought a viewsonic 17" LCD and as always us paypal through my credit card. Well I never got it and filed complaints with ebay and paypal.

Paypal sent me this nifty email:

"Dear Jared,

After careful review, we have concluded our investigation into the Buyer
Complaint described below.

------------------------------
Complaint Details
------------------------------

Transaction Date: Mar. 16, 2004
Transaction Amount: -$455.00 USD
Case Number: PP-034-706-752
Seller's Name: Valentino Perez
Seller's Email: [email protected]

We have determined that the seller is at fault in this matter but regret to
inform you that we were unable to recover any funds from the seller's
account. As stated in the PayPal User Agreement, recovery of funds
associated with a Buyer Complaint cannot be guaranteed.

If this transaction took place on an auction site, we encourage you to
contact the auction site and see if they offer insurance or dispute
resolution.

Thank you for your cooperation and we apologize for any inconvenience this
situation may have caused.

We appreciate your business, and regret this experience.

To make sure future transactions proceed smoothly, we suggest reading these
Security Tips:

http://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/fraud-tips-buyers-outside

Sincerely,

Protection Services Department"

Thankfully my credit card covered everything and I didn't have to pay it. Always use a credit card with fraud protection.

Back