• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A person with a dell a940 printer needs some help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Papier

Today I tried to help a lady with her printer. It's a A940 all in one. I tried my best, but it won't even detect the dang thing on USB! The only thing it does detect is a fax machine (on the comports, not the USB), which I think is the printer. But I can't configure it to print stuff or anything. She told me she managed to print okay a week before but can't now. I asked her if she had the installation cd that came with the printer and she told me it came preloaded on the computer when she got it. So I'm thinking 3 things.

Drivers
USB problem
Kill the stupid thing.

Since she's still on AOL (couldn't dl drivers for it. It would have taken 2 hours), I said I'll just dl drivers onto a cd from my computer and take it over there. And I'm also thinking of bring my USB mouse over there and hook it up to see if her USB ports are still working.

I'm kind of at the end of my rope here guys and she's already pretty ticked at me I couldn't fix it in 10 minutes flat. I need help please. Any advice would be thankful! :(

Just a thought but you may want to peak in the BIOS to see if the USB is enabled.

Thanks, I'll do that when I go back over there. A quick q though. With a dell computer, getting into bios is the same way as a normal computer? I know they sometimes change things up a bit and I would hate to waste 10 minutes just figuring out which key to press getting in.

It is F2 on my Dell laptop. It should tell you on the splash screen if it happens to be different.

The a940 doesn't have a built in fax, it faxes through software, so what you are seeing is the computer's PCI fax/modem.

You are probably going to need to completely uninstall the drivers and remove the printer from device manager. Then follow the install instructions.

Last edited:
Back