• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird problem on my ASUS DVD-E616P1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PixelMover

Bought a brand new ASUS DVD-E616P1 today, but had nothing but trouble since it came out of the box. Not sure if it's a hardware or windows problem, so maybe someone here can give me a hand? of course I tried ASUS support, but for some reason I can't submit my enquiry-form, so no luck there..

The player plays 'movie' DVD's without any problem on the computer, however it cannot deal with data CD/DVD at all, being extremely slow transferring data, nearly always resulting in errors. When trying to run any kind of executable file from either a DVD-ROM or CD-ROM, it always resutls in either:

Runtime error 216 at 00002F4C
or
'Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed.'

A search on Google for this error generally results in it being caused by a subseven trojan, but all my scanners come up with zero, and the problem relates to this DVD-ROM ONLY.
From event viewer, by sending the data to MS, it says it must be a faulty cable, so switched IDE cables, but problem remains.

Often the whole system freezes after this.
To rule out any defects on the IDE channels and/or cables, I have installed the drive as primary master and as secondary master and slave, switching cables in all cases as well. In all cases, problem remains, even with all other IDE devices disconnected (apart from primary HD). Have tried uninastalling and re-installing the device, as well as the IDE channels, but that didn't help either.

I'm running Win XP pro, motherboard is ASUS CUV4-XD (2xP3 1,0ghz, 1Gig RAM)

I've tried everything I can think of, so b4 I bring the thing back to the shop, I just want to know if someone recognizes this problem or has any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Please consider this closed, moved to STORAGE

While trying to solve this problem, found some new causes and ruled out some old ones, so reposted my new findings in the:

Storage> "4 devices 2 much for 2 controllers?" thread.

But feel free to offer advice there :)

Moderater, this thread can be removed, as I can't seem to do that myself

Back