• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it better to remove -advmethods?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Charloz24

My P4 get a whole bunch of double gromacs and I don't find them very good for my production. (Also those one don't always keep the cpu a 100%) So if I remove for the time the advmethods flags, will I still always get gromacs or I can get the tinkers?

no advmethods flag = 99% tinkers

double gromacs while bad for production are still far better than tinkers.

yeah stick with the doubles they will prove much better over time.

Anyone else having problems with the double gromacs? When ever I get one on my 1.8 the rig is turned into mush and completely useless while folding... Is that normal with double gromacs?

ElectroX said:
Anyone else having problems with the double gromacs? When ever I get one on my 1.8 the rig is turned into mush and completely useless while folding... Is that normal with double gromacs?

I haven't seen that yet, but who knows. However, I swear the EVERY time I've turned FAH off in the past six months on a rig that was giving me issues and I thought folding *might* be the culprit, it NEVER turned out to be true.

But just ride the double grommies out and it will get better. My production has jumped a bit since my rigs have purged themselves of those nasty little proteins.

Back to the thread... I always leave it on. ANY gromac is better than a tinker, especially if you're an Intel guy.

Wedo

So do you experienced the not-always-100% with the double gromacs or I am getting something wrong?

Charloz24 said:
So do you experienced the not-always-100% with the double gromacs or I am getting something wrong?
yes it happens to me occaisionally. hope stanford is working on it.

Oh yeah ~ I'm sharing the Frustration. These things really bother me. Whats the point if they are essentialy only running 50%. Grrrrr...

Pop up task manager and watch the usage from 0 -25-50-25-0-25-50-25-0-25........and on and on. It's discouraging..lol And not really fair because the ppw suck A** with these, but they are not equaly distributed (at least not on alllll the rigs I have going). Messes teams up a bit.

They will pass I suppose....I'd rather see 160's flooding....

Maybe if you aren't getting full cpu usage, it would be worth it to create another F@H directory and run 2 instances. At least you'd use all the cpu then.

Yeah but on a HT machine, that mean at least a 3rd instance, and when you got another work that is not double gromac, then I have to shut it down.....it's a little pain! :)

Charloz24 said:
Yeah but on a HT machine, that mean at least a 3rd instance, and when you got another work that is not double gromac, then I have to shut it down.....it's a little pain! :)
exactly right.

Maxvla said:
no advmethods flag = 99% tinkers

double gromacs while bad for production are still far better than tinkers.

I started the console with 97 % left and no flags except for -local and -verbosity 9 and got an 11.9 point Gromac. If you look at the project summary file there are a LOT less tinkers than there used to be. Also Stanford has been working on the performance fraction which helps with getting the good WU's to good CPU's and vise versa. Also the Server summary page shows which servers are set up for FAH only, ADV flags and BET flags so with ADV most of us all get the same servers and WU, but there are more out there. I am going to start changing up some of the flags on my borgs.

Back