Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop
Forum Jump

Planned Prescott H2O setup...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 04-03-04, 02:12 PM Thread Starter   #1
RWHGadianton

Question Planned Prescott H2O setup...

Currently, I am in planning stages for a Prescott system. The system will consist of the following:

P4 "Prescott" 3.0E
Abit IC7-Max3
Either Kingston PC3700 2x512 or Geil PC4400 2x512 (Still deciding due to price)
DangerDen RBX Waterblock
Thermochill HE120.3 Radiator
DangerDen DD12V-D4 Pump
5.25 Quad Bay Reservoir
All 1/2" Brass Barbs with Plumber's Goop
Tygon Tubing

Water Ratio:
75% Distilled/25% Zerex Super Protector plus Waterchill Anti-Algae formula and a couple drops of UV Dye.

Cooling of Radiator is to be provided by 6 120mm 69 CFM fans in push/pull config, and all this placed inside a U2-UFO Black Powder Original Case by Mountainmods.com.

I plan to OC as far as I can up to 4Ghz.

How do you think that would cool the system?
Would you change anything?

This is my first watercooling system. I've done a bunch of research over the last few weeks and am looking for opinions.
RWHGadianton is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-03-04, 02:15 PM   #2
Maximus_OC

Judging by the reasearch that I have done, this system should rock. Keep us updated on your process.
Maximus_OC is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-03-04, 02:18 PM   #3
zip22

sounds good, but zerex super protector will stain your tygon tubes. i would reccomend looking for something different
zip22 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-03-04, 02:20 PM Thread Starter   #4
RWHGadianton

From what I understand, Super Coolant stains and Super Protector is clear. Am I wrong on this?
Old 04-03-04, 02:24 PM   #5
zip22

super protector is clear, but it still made my tygon a faint yellowish color. it starts out looking real nice, but after a few weeks i was dissapointed.
Old 04-03-04, 02:28 PM Thread Starter   #6
RWHGadianton

What is your suggestion for replacing it?

Here is what I'm after...

I want great performance, but the visible color should be green or clear. I don't like the pink look of WW or the Purple Ice look in purple. And from what I understand Glycol based products aren't good for Watercooling.
Old 04-03-04, 02:36 PM   #7
zip22

im not sure, i was looking for clear. what have you heard about regular green antifreeze? also, i think your ratio could be smaller. like 85/15 or less
Old 04-03-04, 02:40 PM Thread Starter   #8
RWHGadianton

I heard regular green antifreeze is glycol based and reduces the thermazl transfer capacity of the water. If I HAD to use it, I would probably use a 90/10 or 95/5 ratio. Just enough to keep corrosion and algae away. and then I wouldn't need the Waterchill Anti-Algae Formula.

I read somewhere that antifreeze makes the water more viscous too. I would prolly want a tad bit of detergent in there to counter that. Probably a drop or two of antibacterial soap.
Old 04-03-04, 02:44 PM   #9
Stee
Disabled

good luck with stopping the mosfets melting off LOL.

presswanks dont look to be that great, they themself arnt that hot but they stress mobos far too much, if u really wanna chance research the issues they give atm and work some ways around it like some mad mosfet cooling etc, otherwise id prepare urself for a huge dissapointment

$$$ + crap result = %~!""*
Stee is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-03-04, 02:47 PM Thread Starter   #10
RWHGadianton

Considering that the IC7Max3 Motherboard comes with active cooling for the MOSFETS, I was just going to add some Arctic Silver 5 to the MOSFET Heatsinks and let the fan do the rest. Abit rates the board up to 300FSB.

3.0E has 15x multiplier

15x300FSB = 4.5 Ghz

I just want to break 4.0, I know 4.5 is unrealistic for water.
Old 04-03-04, 03:12 PM   #11
Arcsylver
Registered

Well you selected the same WB I bought for my upcoming prescott 2.8E system.

everything else I chose is a bit off the wall but looks like you have a good setup to keep that prescott cool.

The mosfets may get a bit toasty but as you said the Abit cooling setup should handle that, though I wonder just how effective such a small fan will actually be in practice.
Arcsylver is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-03-04, 03:48 PM   #12
Korndog

Quote:
Originally posted by RWHGadianton
I heard regular green antifreeze is glycol based and reduces the thermazl transfer capacity of the water. If I HAD to use it, I would probably use a 90/10 or 95/5 ratio. Just enough to keep corrosion and algae away. and then I wouldn't need the Waterchill Anti-Algae Formula.

I read somewhere that antifreeze makes the water more viscous too. I would prolly want a tad bit of detergent in there to counter that. Probably a drop or two of antibacterial soap.
the impact on waters thermal properties when antifreeze is added is minimal, and IMO is somewhat insignificiant when using a 90/10 ratio or even a little hight to 85/15. In fact, you can try running ur setup with regular water and then changing to 90/10 and you will probably not see a 1c difference. As for the viscosity of the solution, again, adding only 10% will not make a significiant change. Using more then that, like 50/50 right from the bottle will decrease flow, which will impact preformance. See that you have a all copper or possibly a copper/brass setup, if u decide to go the brass top RBX, you should need more then 10%, besides that coolant should take care of any algae or bacteria growth.
Korndog is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-03-04, 04:04 PM   #13
Seven

RWH: Might want to talk to Nikhsub1 about this. He's got a VERY similar config. He knows his stuff about cooling, so I'd say shoot him a PM or something, he'd be a valuable resource to you.

Other than that, I'd say ditch the Quad bay reservoir, get a T-line, and instead of the DangerDen D4 Pump (laing d4), get a MCP600 Rev. 2. I was going to buy it too, but I heard cathar's recording of it, and it's NOT quiet.

Old 04-03-04, 04:04 PM   #14
MoreGooder

At a 15% solution, Pentosin blue antifreeze is pretty clear. So far, no staining of my Clearflex after 3 weeks of use.

DFI LANParty LT X38-T2R, E6750 at 3.6 GHz +Swifty Apogee GTX, EVGA 260 216 FTW + Swifty MCW60
8Gb G.Skill PC2 8500 @2.1V, Vista 64, SILVERSTONE ST85F ATX12V / EPS12V 850W Power Supply,
Lian-Li 343B case :up: with Single watercooling loop:
Thermochill 120.3 to cool CPU and NB
Thermochill 120.2 to cool GPU
DDR3.2 + Petras top for above pumps.
NEC 20WMGX2 Widescreen LCD <--- roxors!
MoreGooder is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-04-04, 12:35 PM Thread Starter   #15
RWHGadianton

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Arcsylver.
Thanks for the info, Korndog.
I'll consider the Pentosin, MoreGooder.

Fyberwire,

I will try to contact Nikhsub1, but I wanted to comment on some of your comments in more detail. It is not Quad (4-bay) Reservoir The term Quad refers to 4 hose plug-ins. It is only takes one 5.25" bay. I will look into the MCP600 Rev. 2, and am trying to d/l the audio for the DD12-D4 you mentioned now.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop