• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plastic primer or automotive primer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

violineb

I just got some supplies for doing my first case paint job, it's a crappy case but I wasn't going to try out my noobish skills on my Chieftec :D Anyway, it's an old gateway case I got for free which is of course a plastic/steel case. So my question is, do I use automotive primer or the plastic primer?

I've used regular primer with success on case plastics, but it would probably work even better with the plastic primer because of how well it holds onto the plastic.

In my experience, any paint is sandable. Even the rubber based black bumper paint. You just have to give it longer to dry all the way.
Plenty of water, and light pressure.

The "sandable" on the can means for dry sanding while shaping bodywork and getting rid of grit marks from heavy grit sanding. It gives you a visual of where the low spots are.
Any paint is wet sandable.

If you have any electronics on your bezel like USB ports, make sure to detach it while wet sanding.

Back